Stinkwood Jr Gent II

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RonSchmitt

RonSchmitt

Thanks to Karl ( karlkuehn ) for the blank. Some people I showed it to before turning said it does stink, apparently my sniffer is broken, I couldn't smell a thing when cutting, drilling, or turning.

Comments on the pen ( good or bad ) are welcomed.
I know I need to work on the photography:(

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

karlkuehn

Banned
Nice looking pen, Ron! Photo's a little fuzzy here and there, but I like the look of the wood. I have another 5 of those blanks, and they do look nice now that I've seen one turned. I haven't worked up the nerve to try one because my sniffer works just fine and that wood, even unturned and sitting around for a few years, still smells like a skunk sprayed a piece of rotten mackerel. I can't imagine what it's like when freshly milled. Phyechhggh! [xx(]

I talked to my supplier about getting more of them, and he said that the few he sent me was all that he was able to get. Apparently it's more rare than I thought, although I can't imagine why, with the pewness. [:p]

Now, back to the lathe, you flatulent git! [:p]

"When I finally get round to writing my Good Psycho Guide, this place is gonna get raves. Accomodation - excellent. Food - first class. Resident nutter - courteous and considerate. Psycho rating's gotta be four and a half chainsaws. Higher, maybe."

Viva la Red Dwarf!

bitshird

There is some stuff around here that is called sourwood, looks like some birch / poplar hybrid it smells pretty bad when cutting the trees down.

karlkuehn

Banned
I'm pretty sure the version of stinkwood that I sent to Ron is the following: (from Wikipedia)

Ocotea bullata (Stinkwood tree) is a species of flowering plant in the family Lauraceae, native to South Africa.

It is an evergreen tree that grows up to 30 m tall. The leaves are dark green and glossy, with bubbles or blisters (bullae) produced on the upper surface of the leaves, hence the specific name bullata.

Other names for it are Cape Walnut, Stinkhout, Cape Laurel and Laurel wood. It derives its name from having a strong and unpleasant smell when fresh felled.

Top Bottom