Stink Rat Snake Skin Cartridge Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Penl8the

Penl8the

Got the pen cartridge pen kit from Les (rd_ab_penman). But I cast the blank with Stink Rat snake skin.

Because this kit requires a 7 mm tube, I have to "build up" the tube to roughly to the Sierra size (27/64"). So that I could wrap more snake skin of the tube. In other words I cast this blank twice (see the 3rd picture) - the white circular layer is white PR.

If I have to do it again, I probably use wood to "build up" the thickness of the tube.

The pattern looks like heart shape or guinea fowl feather. Maybe I used the skin near the tail part of the snake, the scales are small near the tail.

Usual finishing and polishing - sanded to 1000 grip, polished with HUT twice.

Thanks for looking. Comments are welcome.

cimg1943gimp.jpg

cimg1941gimp.jpg

cimg1945gimp.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

Beautiful work Brandon. that is a very good idea about growing the 7 mm tube. Would wood work as well as the pr for build up or would it telegraph through the skin? Just a thought.
Charles

Curly

Very nice work Branden. You have shown off Les's cartridge kit while adding your own originality to it.

I'm not up on reptiles and snakes and such, the Stink Rat Snake is new to me, so I looked it up. Is that a skin from the southern states or from asia?

When i first saw the title I thought it was something to do with skiprat. :eek:

Pete

Penl8the

Thank you for the kind words, everyone.

Would wood work as well as the pr for build up or would it telegraph through the skin?
Charles

Charles, if light colour and non-oily wood with a couple coats of medium CA before wrapping the skin, should do the trick.

Very nice work Branden. You have shown off Les's cartridge kit while adding your own originality to it.

I'm not up on reptiles and snakes and such, the Stink Rat Snake is new to me, so I looked it up. Is that a skin from the southern states or from asia?

Pete

Thank you Pete.

These snakes are "farmed" in China somewhere. They are bred and raised then harvested for luxury items such as purses, belts, shoes, etc.

Creepy? Yes and no. The skin feels like any other leather on the back side. The scaly side is more shinny, but not "slimy" at all.

Top Bottom