Still learning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bluewing92

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluewing92

This weekend was more practice and learning. I did two pens, won’t tell how long it took. Just say it took less time then the last so I’m getting quicker but not necessarily better.
Top one is Walnut and I wanted to see how a dark wood would look with a Gun Metal plated kit.
The other is my first attempt of a knot. It looked better bigger and lost some effect as I turned it down for a slim line kit. Although I did leave it slightly larger in the knot area. Cherry with Curly maple knot and maple and walnut segment on bottom.
Lots of fun but still having problems with CA finish. Wants to leave little holes everywhere. I know, practice, practice, practice!!!!!
Excuse the finger prints (smudge marks) on the ends of the walnut pen. Another lesson, dark colors show all.

Pens_0011.jpg

PS: I need to work on my photography also.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bluewing92

Thanks all for your kind words. This site has been a blessing. The knowledge and willing to share is making it easier for us new comers to learn and try anything and everything.

I would post more comments on all the beautiful pens that I have seen but my typing is atrocious, and is measured in minutes per words rather then words per minutes. I type everything in “Word†first do a spell check before posting so I don’t look like a complete idiot.

Again thanks for the great site.

alphageek

Former Moderator
Originally posted by Bluewing92
I would post more comments on all the beautiful pens that I have seen but my typing is atrocious, and is measured in minutes per words rather then words per minutes. I type everything in “Word†first do a spell check before posting so I don’t look like a complete idiot.
AlphaGeek tech tip - Download and use Firefox instead of IE to browse with and you get a spell checker in every form on the web, including quick and full replies on this site!

karlkuehn

Banned
Hey Blue!

Those pens are great! I've yet to brave a knot myself, so you're ahead of me already!

As for the CA finish, personally I HIGHLY recommend Don Ward's tutorial on CA/BLO finishes. I started out doing straight CA and know your pain on the 'little holes' syndrome.

The tutorial is clear and concise and helped me form my own method of finishing with cyanoacrylate and boiled linseed oil, but I could never have gotten there without his help.

Also, once you're set up for CA/BLO, my advice is to turn a pen to about 1/16" than it's supposed to be between bushings, and then just practice practice practice on building the finish back up. It's quick and easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom