Still learnin' IX & experimenting & one ugly duckling.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Phillip Kelley

I have see the day when the "spalted hickory" would have been on the burn pile! I pulled a vaccumn on a few blanks in my pickle jar & then pressured them for a while using some discontinued, rotten wood preservative from Sherwin Williams, let it dry over night and got a nice looking pen out of the experiment this morning! Now, the ugly duckling
has got to be the ugliest pen I have ever seen! The bottom half of the corn cob exploded so I stuck a piece of Osage Orange & some Paduk (with a piece of plastic from a "for sale" sign) I thought it might match & "save" the pen! It definitely doesn't match.....

Attachments

• DSC00951.JPG
    DSC00951.JPG
    162.4 KB · Views: 284
  • DSC00952.JPG
    DSC00952.JPG
    183.6 KB · Views: 289
Last edited:

SDB777

I'm gonna have to see your set-up one day using the pickle jar.

Did you happen to measure the weight of the blank prior to vacuum, and then after? Did you worm trails get hard enough to keep them from coming out?

Too bad about the cob, was it 'stabilized' too?

Scott (all the questions.....) B

Pickel jar

I will post some pictures of pickel jar; I am lot like "monkey see-monkey do" type mentality! I don't remeber if idea was on IAP or a You-Tube.
No, I didn't weigh before & after, but I checked a chinaberry dish one time & it lost 1/2 pound & 1/2" in width after drying in microwave! I was surprised but the wood was quite stable. The corn cob was stabilized got it from Hutt.

I'm gonna have to see your set-up one day using the pickle jar.

Did you happen to measure the weight of the blank prior to vacuum, and then after? Did you worm trails get hard enough to keep them from coming out?

Too bad about the cob, was it 'stabilized' too?

Scott (all the questions.....) B

Top Bottom