Sterling Siver Sedona

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rd_ab_penman

rd_ab_penman

Rollerball with African Blackwood and Birdseye Maple. Sanded to 12,000 MM, applied 6 coats of Minwax Clear Gloss Polyurethane, sanded 6000 thru 12,000 MM and polished with Brasso.
As always comments and or suggestions welcome.
Thanks for looking.

sterlingsilversedonaandfx9.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Les, you have finishing down to a science!! When I see posts from people talking about how they have perfected CA, Unoxal, or whatever, I want to refer them to your work to see what a true world class finish looks like.

Fred

Les ... I agree with Cav on your finishing abilities. Great job and an excellent pen! :cool: (Your finish is so bright I had to use the only Smilie with sunglasses!)

Skye

Very nice, would like to see it put together. Wondering how it would have looked with maple somewhere on the cap to match the foot or not. Just not used to seeing them uneven. Was that an oops band? I think the rest of the wood is so dark that it really helps add a lot of character to the pen.

pgfitzgerald

Les,

I'm new here, and ran across your finishing tutorial the other day. That led me to your posts here in the "Show Off Your Pens!" forum.

Your pens are beautiful and their finish is always stunning! I've turned about 5 pens so far, and I can only hope one day the pens I produce will look half as spectacular as yours.

I've been reading through your posts and see that you've gone through a number of sanding, finishing, and polishing procedures to get to where you are today. In your experience, do people tend to gravitate towards a particular type of finish or sheen? Did that influence the path you took with regard to sanding, finishing, and polishing?

Thanks!

Paul

steve_mcloon

Stunning! Eye catching design, perfectly sized interfaces, and of course a perfect finish. I have used the African blackwood / maple combination. Obviously it gives about as much contrast as possible. The difficulty, which Les has overcome, is to avoid filling the pores of the maple with the fine dust of the blackwood. Well done.
-Steve

rd_ab_penman

Les,

I'm new here, and ran across your finishing tutorial the other day. That led me to your posts here in the "Show Off Your Pens!" forum.

Your pens are beautiful and their finish is always stunning! I've turned about 5 pens so far, and I can only hope one day the pens I produce will look half as spectacular as yours.

I've been reading through your posts and see that you've gone through a number of sanding, finishing, and polishing procedures to get to where you are today. In your experience, do people tend to gravitate towards a particular type of finish or sheen? Did that influence the path you took with regard to sanding, finishing, and polishing?

Thanks!

Paul

Thanks Paul.

From my limited experience I have found that customers seem to like the ones with a durable finish in either a Satin or Gloss and had some influence on the finishes I have been using.

Les

rd_ab_penman

Very nice, would like to see it put together. Wondering how it would have looked with maple somewhere on the cap to match the foot or not. Just not used to seeing them uneven. Was that an oops band? I think the rest of the wood is so dark that it really helps add a lot of character to the pen.

Thanks.
No oops here.
This is what the client wanted me to make.

Mazzywv

What a beautiful pen. The finish is like glass. The wood looks fantastic, may I ask where you purchased your pen kit?

Thanks in advance.
Dan

VisExp

Beautiful pen Les and congratulations on the cover shot. As mentioned previously you did a great job keeping the maple clean of blackwood particles.

bitshird

Your finishes are truly remarkable, I've been toying with the Idea of a drying box to keep dust off while it dries, it has to be easier than a CA finish and less toxic as well, just wish it didn't take so long.

Top Bottom