Sterling silver pen, Custom Euro?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mredburn

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I have a dozen or more blanks turned and finished from about 10 years ago. Unfortunately they all need to be returned because they are too out of round to pass muster by todays standards, at least mine anyway. So I got one out returned it BTB and refinished it in Cabots Poly. I have been liking this adaptation of the Euro design, the lower barrel is 2.6 inches long (66.25mm) plus the nib. A total of 3.042in (77.28mm) the wood is Ash, the parts are solid sterling silver. This pen is made with 7mm tubes in the upper barrel and 7mm and 7/32 tube in the lower. I drill a 7/32 hole at the nib and insert a tube about 1 in long. The upper end where the transmission is inserted is a standard 7mm tube about 1 in long also. This pen has a cross refill. I also make this same style using 8mm tubes that will take the parker refills. the 7/32 tube at the nib can be no longer than 1/2 an inch to accommodate the refill. I made one with the 8mm tubes for my pith exchange pen last year. If I were to do anything different with this pen I would make the taper at the nib longer and more gradual. I did a shorter taper than I usually do and I'm not real pleased with it. although my wife likes it. Thoughts and comments appreciated. Mike

Attachments

• DSC_0190.jpg
    DSC_0190.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 159
  • DSC_0191.jpg
    DSC_0191.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 163
  • DSC_0192.jpg
    DSC_0192.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 125
  • DSC_0195.JPG
    DSC_0195.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 126
  • DSC_0196.jpg
    DSC_0196.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 158
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Nice job on the silver. For my taste I would make the lower barrel closer to the CB diameter and the nib a little longer, but that's only an opinion. Pen is still very nice as is.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
The lower barrel fits into a recessed groove in the bottom of the center band. I make most of my center bands that way. One of my favorites on this theme has just an 1/8 inch tall c/b and a small clip and cap. The silver ends up being an accent rather than overwhelming the blank. Thank you for the comments.

Top Bottom