Sterling Silver

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Sandsini

Sandsini

Recently I ordered a tube of Sterling Silver to make decorative bands from and when it arrived I noticed how similar the 6" tube was to my current favorite pen style, the straight-lined Andromeda. So, I took that as inspiration and made a pen from it, using black AA to accent and line the silver.

I figured that the unworked Sterling was too plain for an actual pen finish and decided that I needed to either etch a design on it or distress it to keep it interesting. I wanted a hammered finish but didn't have anything on hand to brace the tube internally while I wailed away on it with a ball peen hammer, so I decided to use a diamond burr to give it some interest. Once I had my way with the tube and the burr I added a patinating agent to give the work an accent.

The result has some promise but I'm not really very satisfied with the distressing. I would like to try it again and do an actual hammered finish, and I have some other ideas that involve a friends jewelry focused CAD software, so we'll have to see how it goes.

I'd love to hear your feedback,

thanks!

Attachments

• DSC01421.jpg
    DSC01421.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 250
  • DSC01419.jpg
    DSC01419.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 162
  • DSC01417.jpg
    DSC01417.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 165
  • DSC01416.jpg
    DSC01416.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 131
  • DSC01410.jpg
    DSC01410.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 134
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

Do you have a HF punch set ?? One should fit the inside of your tube so you can wail away. A slightly loose fit would be better for a hammered finish, as it gives the silver some room to distort. If you don't have a punch that fits, use a brass or aluminium rod and chuck it in your lathe. Use a file and sandpaper to get the size you need. You could also use a spring or wooden dowel inserted in the tube to keep it from deforming. Nice looking pen !!! Jim S

Last edited:

Sandsini

Jim,
Yes I do have a punch set and the largest punch is a little undersized but pretty close. Before I went at it with the burr, I clamped it to my work bench, put the tube on it and tried a hammer finish, but it wasn't secure enough to actually work the metal. I need to figure out a better clamping system. I figure a block of wood with a V cut into it to locate the punch and clamp the block and punch down together would do the trick.

Last edited:

SteveG

I am looking at you silver pen, and thinking that I have not seen a pen with this look, and it is interesting. Your mention of and intent to do a hammered finish sounds like a winner too. I have had similar experiences in the past...ending up in far different places from where I thought I was going!:)

mecompco

I LOVE the concept, but must admit that my eye just doesn't care for the finish. I'm thinking the "hammered" finish or perhaps "stippling" would look much better. Just MHO--the pen itself look awesome, and much, much, better than I could do in any case.

Regards,
Michael

plantman

Jim,
Yes I do have a punch set and the largest punch is a little undersized but pretty close. Before I went at it with the burr, I clamped it to my work bench, put the tube on it and tried a hammer finish, but it wasn't secure enough to actually work the metal. I need to figure out a better clamping system. I figure a block of wood with a V cut into it to locate the punch and clamp the block and punch down together would do the trick.

Watch out in using a V block, it will give you a flat line on the back of your silver tube. If your vice has a flat surface on the back, use the flat anvil part to hammer on. It would be even better to take a block of wood and drill a hole the size of your silver tube lengthwise in it. Now take it to your band or table saw and split it down the middle exposing half the hole. Lay your tube in the slot and do your hammering on a solid surface such as your work bench. The block will keep the bottom of your tube from distorting and absorb the hammer blows while the top of your tube is being worked. These jeweler's blocks can be purchased in wood or metal at most jewelry supply shops and will do quite a number of different shapes and sizes. Remember, Silver is a softer metal, and when placed between a rock and a hard place, doesn't take a lot of effort to move it. Congrats on the feature photo !!! Jim S

Last edited:
Top Bottom