Step Right Up And Win A Prize!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ZanderPommo

ZanderPommo

So Ive been away for a couple months, although I have been lurking. Dont worry, no one needs to say it, I know you were all mourning my absense:biggrin::biggrin::tongue:, but Im back now, so do not dispair. Well in all seriosness, I've missed this forum alot lately (the hazards of a full time job and full time relationship) but I decided to devote some time again to penturning and I spent the time coming up with some challenges, and jumped right back in head first!

This is a contest, the first person to guess what wood this pen is made of, wins the prize pictured below the pen. Under the picture of the prize is a description. If two people guess correctly I'll have to go by the first guess. ONLY HINT: IT IS WOOD

Here are the rules! :
1. Be specific. I want to know a common name, if you think you know this species of wood. If you think this is a common species of wood with a certain figure, I want to know the name and the type of figure, and if you think this wood was altered, I need to know the species, what about it is altered, and how you think it was done.
2. you get one two guesses and only two, so make them count! (yes I'm too lazy to enforce this rule but it WILL make for a more fair playing field if we can use the honor rule on this one)
3. No punching, kicking, scratching, gouging, biting, or hair pulling. (unless you're into that sort of thing:rolleyes:)

Here is the pen! (yes sorry I know the finish is garbage and the nib is a tad underturned:frown:)
SDC12668.jpg

SDC12669.jpg

SDC12670.jpg
http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/ZanderPommo/SDC12670.jpg[/IMG]

and the PRIZE!
SDC12675.jpg

Left to right: 4 homebrew blanks, figured hackberry, curly koa, black ash burl, homemade bluejean micarta blank, and storebought acrylic acetate. ALSO: the winner will recieve one of the blanks used to make this pen!!!!

BEGIN!!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

oneptbuk

I don't know what it is, but it looks a little like those banksia pod things..... so that's my guess!

.. and I like it on that long click..

Linarestribe

Scientific Name
Isoberlinia tomentosa

Trade Name
Baborochi borun

Family Name
Caesalpiniaceae

Synonyms
Berlinia niembaensis
Isoberlinia angolensis
Isoberlinia dalzielii

Common Names
Baborochi borun
Berlinia
Fara doka
Fara-doka
Gyagya buhi
Kangkalaga
Kankpalaga
Kapane
Kpalso-pailga
Msanganza
Mutobo
Mutondo
Palisaka
Palsonyao

ZanderPommo

Im gonna throw the win to biednick. Its wormy soft maple which was double dyed. Black first which soaks into the soft spots, then sanded back to bring the harder areas back to maple color, and dyed again with autumn brown. The goal was to make it look like snakewood. (i think i succeeded, though no one guessed that haha)

Biednick, pm me your addy sir, and congradulations! the only place you were wrong was ambrosia is a type of spalting i believe and this wasnt caused so much by decay as by pests. Close enough for me!

Thanks for playing everyone!!!

oneptbuk

Very cool. Ambrosia maple is actually caused by infestation from the Ambrosia beetle, so he was spot on!

Nice effect with the dyeing process.

mrcook4570

I had two thoughts in mind - snakewood or leopardwood, and I thought you had figured out a way to somehow dye only the orange spots into a black color.

MarkY

I'm thinking it is something fairly plain that has been drip-stained black then over stained the red/brown.... or maybe the red brown is natural.
The wood, hmmm mahogany?

Damnit, didn't look past the first page

Last edited:
Top Bottom