Steampunk watch gears.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JeremyLP

JeremyLP

Last night I posted a casual conversation labeled Hobbit trivia. I posted a picture of a chain going from one pocket to the other and asked 'What have I got in my pocket.' The guesses were really good.

The answer is of course a pen. The Hobbit title is a little misleading as the pen has nothing to do at all with Bilbo. But of course I could not resist trying to have a little fun, like having second breakfast.

The watch was made using gears from a Waltham, I ran the SN# and it was made in 1879. I had been thinking of trying to use the chain ring somehow, but I could not really figure out how to use it. Then the idea of the chain came to me, so I popped off the black thing in the cap and drilled the hole out, ground down the ring and used some epoxy to glue it in.

The kit I used was a titanium gold Baron (which I think some people call a Jr. Gent?)

If it looks somewhat familier, the watch gear pen in the intermediate contest was mine as well.

Sorry for only having one picture, the uploader keeps failing to bring up the others.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 493
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

firewhatfire

That looks like a fun build. Creative thinking.

I bet a train conductor would love one of those, and my answer was correct because anytime you take it out of your pocket it would put a smile on your face.

Phil

PenPal

Jeremy,

Captivated by the winder, chain, content, context,colour, the novelty including the intrigue of
your intro pocket feature misleading as it was. I am midway into making a crystal lit crystal ball for a Bilbo fan right now so it got me.

Liking steampunk greatly the tumbling posts are stimulating and different with the twists and turns a magician provides making real use of otherwise cast off objects.

Great fun. Peter.

JeremyLP

Jeremy,

Captivated by the winder, chain, content, context,colour, the novelty including the intrigue of
your intro pocket feature misleading as it was. I am midway into making a crystal lit crystal ball for a Bilbo fan right now so it got me.

Liking steampunk greatly the tumbling posts are stimulating and different with the twists and turns a magician provides making real use of otherwise cast off objects.

Great fun. Peter.

Thanks Peter, I have another one in mind, but I have to pass it by the mod's first.

Joe S.

Jeremy,

Great fun. Peter.

Thanks Peter, I have another one in mind, but I have to pass it by the mod's first.

Woah there, that sounds scary! :biggrin:

jttheclockman

It is a thinking outside the box concept and nicely done. I am not liking the chain attachment because it becomes a liability more than a help. I do like the top cap portion with the winding stem. Thanks for showing and look forward to more of your work. Keep them coming.

JeremyLP

It is a thinking outside the box concept and nicely done. I am not liking the chain attachment because it becomes a liability more than a help. I do like the top cap portion with the winding stem. Thanks for showing and look forward to more of your work. Keep them coming.

Thanks John. The chain can be taken off if desired. But, when I was playing around with it I decided that it was either the chain or the clip, but not both, and because I do not have a buyer standing in line, I just went with the chain to see what it would look like. Over all I am really happy with it. The more and make these pens, the more addicted to it I am becoming.

KDM

How'd you do the riveted metal look under the gears? Looks like maybe aluminium foil glued directly onto the tube?

Top Bottom