Steampunk Saturn. (I think.)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Joe S.

Joe S.

Decided to try a little steampunk. I borrowed some ideas from jjartwood, the internet, my head, and accidents in the shop :eek::biggrin:! The top is some aluminum foil, copper wire, and a screw head for a valve. The bottom is oak with burnlines and the important-looking metal things are aluminum. I had fun doing it, and learned a lot. But, I would like some input on how I did artistically (one of my weaker points), photographically, and what you think of the craftsmanship. Anything that looks rough was intentional (hey, its steampunk!) and the finish is suppose to look splotchy, (I actually dumped a bit of CA on one side, hoping for a ghosting effect :ghost:.). I may be crazy, but I wanted to try it. If sombody buys it off Etsy, then I know its a winner:biggrin:.
Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• DSCN3865.jpg
    DSCN3865.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 390
  • DSCN3867.jpg
    DSCN3867.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 245
  • DSCN3869.jpg
    DSCN3869.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 215
  • DSCN3870.jpg
    DSCN3870.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 189
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

Wow! All I can think to say is "That's really something else!!".:eek:

I'm not sure I'm qualified to comment on this one. I've never really been capable of understanding or appreciating modern art. This could be a work of genius....unless it's something else. It's surely beyond me though. :)

You had fun and learned a lot. If someone buys it, you've got a triple play.

Ed

Joe S.

Wow! All I can think to say is "That's really something else!!".:eek:

I'm not sure I'm qualified to comment on this one. I've never really been capable of understanding or appreciating modern art. This could be a work of genius....unless it's something else. It's surely beyond me though. :)

You had fun and learned a lot. If someone buys it, you've got a triple play.

Ed

Me neither! That's why I'm wondering if this is art or not. :biggrin:

lyonsacc

I'd be proud of that pen.

My opinion - I like most of it. 2 parts I would change: 1)The large wood section (large area, indent, 2 thin rings then large area) doesn't "fit" as well as the rest of the pen. Keep the burn lines though. 2) A stainless screw head might look better.

Those are my opinions - yours are allowed to vary.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Well I think it's just superb!!! I wouldn't change a thing.
It's unique, thought provoking and visually appealing.:biggrin:
I think it's great.:biggrin:
Who said that it needs to be a perfectly engineered pen??? Poowey to them!!

Very well done!!!:biggrin:

Well if SkipRat likes it you can't be all wrong that is for sure. He seems to be the king of steam punk here. I definitely think Mad Max would have carried that so it has got to be cool..

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Errr gee, thanks Mike, but I can assure you that I'm certainly not the king of ANYTHING here or anywhere else, least of all Steampunk stuff.:wink:

I do think that this steampunk stuff is way too cool, but I'm never ever going to be smart enough to be an authority or critic of it. :redface:

Katya

I'll add my $0.02 worth (or maybe $0.05, since we've ditched the penny up here in Canada!)

Steampunk is Victorian ingenuity run amok, mixed in with futuristic gadgets. Brass and gears feature prominently. And it must look much more complicated than it is<g>.

I think you've got some good things going on in this pen- would like to see more!

Joe S.

I'll add my $0.02 worth (or maybe $0.05, since we've ditched the penny up here in Canada!)

Steampunk is Victorian ingenuity run amok, mixed in with futuristic gadgets. Brass and gears feature prominently. And it must look much more complicated than it is<g>.

I think you've got some good things going on in this pen- would like to see more!

Brass, gears, pipes, leather, oak, goggles, and smoke. That's what I've always thought steampunk was. And time travel.

Joe S.

Errr gee, thanks Mike, but I can assure you that I'm certainly not the king of ANYTHING here or anywhere else, least of all Steampunk stuff.:wink:

I do think that this steampunk stuff is way too cool, but I'm never ever going to be smart enough to be an authority or critic of it. :redface:

After seeing a few of your pens (like that burner one a while back:wink:) I'd say your the king of something, but I'm not sure what:biggrin:

:biggrin:SkipRat that missle pen you made was a work of art and if it wasn't steampunk I don't know what was. I just love it when you post your stuff.... You are outside the box more than anyone I know of. Now these are meant to be compliments I don't want to give the wrong impression.:biggrin:

Jjartwood

Love it,
Steampunk as I under the description is 19th century industrial without the orphans.
We seem to get too hung up on gears as they are an important aspect of the form
they are often over done, I sort of see it as more of use what you have to build what you need,There are lots of steampunk art sites and the work covers a broad spectrum from
robots to airships.
It's sort of "if it feels good than do it !"
If I had any suggestion (and it is only a suggestion,this is your pen and style) would be to distress the wood a little and find a little more order in the foil panels,
Nice Job!!
Mark

Joe S.

Definitely learning on the panels! Those will only get better as I make them, because they can't get much worse! And yes, a bike chain and some dirt would do the wood good (or not good, but this whole thing is backwards anyway!)

Jjartwood

Actually I like the flow, I think that it's really cool,more because it's different
and a very utilitarian,It will make a person look twice it's interesting without being "pretty"
It gets my vote but what the help do I know?
Be careful because steampunk will suck you right in.
Mark

Top Bottom