Steampunk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jgrden

Jgrden

Well shucks. I have had more fun and learned a ton about soldering Thanks to Skie and Ken. Don't laugh but here is the result without polishing it.

:cool:

Had trouble pressing it and learned to clear more space when assembling. Onto the next one.

Attachments

• Steampunk 102.JPG
    Steampunk 102.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 323
  • Steampunk 105.JPG
    Steampunk 105.JPG
    157.9 KB · Views: 321
  • Steampunk 104.JPG
    Steampunk 104.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Dang that's good!

I have been soldering (and welding) since I was knee high to a jackrabbit (since the 50's at least) and that pen is inspiring me for a try.

Have you ever done plumbing? Or made your own rockets with liquid propellent? :biggrin: Looks like it!

Last edited:

SteveG

John...

You just took that first step off the high dive platform.

Now...is there any water in the pool?? :eek::eek:

Great way to get it going, and looking forward to what is to follow!:biggrin::biggrin:

mecompco

I like it. Though, how about casting it in PR or whatever for more comfortable use? The high "pipes" could poke out of of the resin. I think that would be really cool. Just a thought.

Regards,
Michael

Jgrden

John...

You just took that first step off the high dive platform.

Now...is there any water in the pool?? :eek::eek:

Great way to get it going, and looking forward to what is to follow!:biggrin::biggrin:

Hi Steve.:

Watch for the next pen. I will not use the Steampunk kit. Found that I need more brass to work with to keep up with imagination. Still need allot of practice on the soldering, it is not very good. Also the finishing needs to be worked on but have not yet invested in compounds.
Good to hear from you.
John

Jgrden

I like it. Though, how about casting it in PR or whatever for more comfortable use? The high "pipes" could poke out of of the resin. I think that would be really cool. Just a thought.

Regards,
Michael

Mike:
As I perfect the use of smaller "pipes" they will get closer to the body and I may use Alumalite. Thank you for your thoughts.
John

Jgrden

Dang that's good!

I have been soldering (and welding) since I was knee high to a jackrabbit (since the 50's at least) and that pen is inspiring me for a try.

Have you ever done plumbing? Or made your own rockets with liquid propellent? :biggrin: Looks like it!

Hank:
With your back ground, you could make some fantastic pens. You should give it a try. My next learning step is to make 90 degree elbows since a elbow that size isn't on the market. The corners will be a little sharp but needed to get the right effect.

John

ToddS

That is a really cool pen. I have some friends that really love the 30 cal bolt action pens. With an add-on like this I think this would be a huge hit.

Hosspen

Great job! I think that your soldering gives it a lot more character than the pristine bought sections of the pen. Just my opinion, but i admire anyone trying something new and can just imagine the tediousness of soldering such small pieces. I look forward seeing one where you do all the soldering! Keep up the good work!

Skie_M

Dang that's good!

Hank:
With your back ground, you could make some fantastic pens. You should give it a try. My next learning step is to make 90 degree elbows since a elbow that size isn't on the market. The corners will be a little sharp but needed to get the right effect.

John

Take the copper wire you are working with and step up a gauge or two ...

You will need to plan out EXACTLY where you want the bends to be BEFORE YOU GO DRILLING ANY HOLES ANYWHERE. Once you have the plan, then measure out the layout on the extra-large diameter copper wire you plan to use. For every bend/corner, plan to have a little extra to help give you some working room for the bend.

Chuck the wire in the lathe, and TURN AWAY the excess to get down to the diameter of the "pipe" you wish to create. (I say "turn away" but you generally need to just use sandpaper for this step... ) Leave some extra on the "pipe" for your "fittings" on either side of your "elbows". On the outside of the elbows, remember to have a sharp 90 degree step down to the pipe, and on the inside of the elbows, remember to give it a gentle little slope down to the pipe diameter for the elbow.

Use soft padded jaws on a vice to bend it precisely to your requirements, and then you can either polish it up or dress it down with ageing compounds as you desire. Steampunk looks great when it looks really old and worn, but it also looks awesome when it's brand new!

Once you have your "pipes" all set, THEN you can measure for the actual holes in your brass tube. Your copper wire DOES NOT have to stick very far into the tube, in fact, you could simply solder directly to the face of the brass tube. This would avoid weakening the brass tube.

Anyways ... that's it for my 2 cents on this pen ... it looks like you did a great job and learned a ton! :)

OZturner

Stunning Creation John.
Great Extension to the Steampunk Kit.
Looks like it has been working and had maintenance done on it.
Love the Rugged and Bruised Look.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Jgrden

Skie: Your information is valuable to me. I sent a private message to ask more questions.

I tried cutting a V grove on the inside of 8mm tube and am not getting a nice 90 degree. Perhaps this will come with more practice. I have not tried it on the copper wire. All the solder that was working well for me is gone. Today will be trips to Ace, Lowes and the other store to find low melting temp. solder. Any help from you on how to identify this solder will be appreciated.
I made a big blunder on the top end with the level bubble - that is where the pen nib is suppose to be housed. Now an extension needs to be soldered to the bottom. Soldering without melting the plastic level tube was a trick.

oldtoolsniper

https://www.riogrande.com/category/tools-and-equipment/soldering-and-welding

Riogrande.com

This is one of the places that I know of that sells solder that melts at different temperatures. If you look at what you are doing as jewelry making for pens you will find a lot of stuff out there.

There are some books on soldering jewelry that may help you as well.

They use different melting temperature solder from high to low in order. By doing this they can continue to attach items without un-soldering the pieces already attached. You work from the highest to the lowest melting point of the different solders.

What your doing is impressive to say the least.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Skie_M

Skie: Your information is valuable to me. I sent a private message to ask more questions.

I tried cutting a V grove on the inside of 8mm tube and am not getting a nice 90 degree. Perhaps this will come with more practice. I have not tried it on the copper wire. All the solder that was working well for me is gone. Today will be trips to Ace, Lowes and the other store to find low melting temp. solder. Any help from you on how to identify this solder will be appreciated.
I made a big blunder on the top end with the level bubble - that is where the pen nib is suppose to be housed. Now an extension needs to be soldered to the bottom. Soldering without melting the plastic level tube was a trick.

63/37 tin/lead rosin core electrical solder is my recommendation. You can find it available at any hobby electrical outlet, such as Radio Shack. It melts at the lowest available temperatures for solder.

Rather than soldering and possibly damaging the plastic level tube, I would recommend some type of epoxy like JB weld. After it cures, you can machine it, sand it, paint it, ect...

Jgrden in PM said:
Skie:
Thank you for your valuable information.

When you say "step Up" in wire gauge do you mean increase from a 8 ga. wire to a thicker 6 gauge?

Your comment on DO NOT DRILL HOLES UNTIL..." was perfect !! I guess you saw all the holes in the aluminum piece.

Say, I found a piece of solder that is half the size of normal plumbing wire and it melts fast - perfect. It was not labeled and I need some. What do you recommend.?

Also, I need to read a little more carefully on how to make the 90 degree bend.

John

The advice about not drilling holes yet was more towards ensuring that your finished "pipe" will fit the holes you drill to match it, rather than attempting to drill holes first and attempting to match the holes, which is rather difficult.

Already mentioned above that you found some electrical solder... it's fairly cheap stuff. You won't be needing the "silver solder" and the currently safer "plumbing safe" stuff that they want to charge an arm and a leg for, as your pen should stay safely out of the mouth of the recipient... On the other hand, you may want to print up a "lead content disclaimer" notice, if you plan to sell your pen in California....

Pad the vice with scraps of leather or thick cloth material, so you don't leave scratches on the "pipe". Grab the other end (fingers should be sufficient, but padded pliers would work too), and gently bend it over in the desired direction. As the bend forms, you can adjust the height that the vice is gripping it at in order to adjust the angle and degree of the bend, so as to have a gradual and even bend.

Alternatively, you may wish to create an aide or jig to assist you in the bending process ... a few dowel rods in a block of wood spaced fairly close together and of an appropriate diameter would allow you to bend the thick gauge wire evenly in whatever angle, degree, and direction you wish. Various thickness dowels and distance between them will help you with different degrees of bends. Lift the finished wire straight up and off the dowels.

At this point, rather than drilling holes in the blank, I would use some flush cutters to clip the "pipes" into the exact measurements I want, and then sand them flat. I would then surface mount them to the brass barrel with solder, cleaning away excess solder with a steel wire brush wheel (in a dremel type tool). After all the pieces are in place, antiquing or polishing (whichever I desire) would take place, followed by casting and turning to completion.

Good luck with the bubble level thing, it looks interesting .... did you know that you can find glass level vials online?

Jgrden

Steampunk 201-F.JPG

Steampunk 201-G.JPG

Steampunk 201-H.JPGGLASS level bubbles? Whoda thunk? No, I did not know. I am learning a ton from you and experience.

Pre assembled
Pre Polished

Last edited:

Si90

Well done John, your first steps into the world of Steampunk are very impressive. You should be able to find Silver solder quite cheap. I pay £3 (pounds sterling) for a 6 foot lenght of 0.5mm 55% silver content wire, melting point around 650 degrees C. I can easily build 3 or 4 pens out of that. I would "braze" your joints as opposed to "solder" the joints are far stronger and it's much easier to get a nice fillet at the joint - don't ask how I know, let's just say I won't go back to soldering.

Top Bottom