Stealth

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ctEaglesc

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
African Blackwood,black slimine components,30-06 nickel casing.

200587124851_AAA%20003.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Thumbs

Eagle, NPGF!
How is Blackwood to work with? Is it heat sensitive like I hear that Ebony is? Are all Ebonies so heat sensitive as reputed?

[:)][}:)]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I'm not Eagle, but can tell you that blackwood is very nice to work. It's not an ebony at all, but a rosewood. I've not experienced any of the Gaboon (Nigerian) ebony problems with blackwood.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />I'm not Eagle, but can tell you that blackwood is very nice to work. It's not an ebony at all, but a rosewood. I've not experienced any of the Gaboon (Nigerian) ebony problems with blackwood.

I am not DC, but I concur with his statement.
One problem to note with blackwood,I have had difficulties getting an even CA finish to adhere.
It really doesn't need a finish due to the oils, TSW does make it shine though and I would imagine REN wax.
Without a "finish" coat I would imagine it may be more susceptible to scratches and other surface damage but it is an extremely dense wood.

Kurt Aebi

Eagle,

First off - Nice Pen, good work!

Now with a comment: I'm not sure it looks quite right with the banded top and the 30.06 bottom - I think the banded would have been Just right if you had used a 7mm Mag, instead. Or just smooth out the band to make it match the 30.06 better.

I really like the Black Enamel hardware with this one and I like it that you like to use spent cartridges rather than new brass - definitely adds to the character!

Still looks good to me, I'd take it off your hands in a heartbeat and use it everyday! Maybe you should send it to me!! LOL [}:)]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Thnaks to all for comments.
THe shape of the top is to suggest an casing shape not neccesrily duclicate it.
If I were to try to Dupe it I would have done it in sclaae.
I had been doing a lot of these and this was one I did because I done a blackwood wone in Rhodium plating.
I don't do production work and when they all get looking alike I get bored or feel as though I am not doing my best.
I am sure I made a 30-06 withought the mag band but not in blackwood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom