Stave segmented pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from LabTrnr

LabTrnr

Two stave segmented pens I just finished. Cherry, holly and black dyed veneer Jr. Gents and a cherry with black and red veneer zen. Both with CA finish.

Attachments

• PenStripes_1 (1).jpg
    PenStripes_1 (1).jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 495
  • PenStripes_2.jpg
    PenStripes_2.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 331
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edward Cypher

WOW!!! I just helped a friend cut staves for a stainless steel mug he got from craftsupplies and I thought those pieces were small. I was wrong. Nice work!!!!

LabTrnr

I thought about making some kind of jig to cut the staves but I'm not good at that sort of thing. I use a Wixey angle box to set the blade angle, I have a Jet cabinet saw. I made corian zero clearance inserts, they're nice and flat. I start with .375" to .5" thick stock, make the initial cut to set the first edge, flip the board end for end, move the fence (I use a Rockler thin strip cutting jig) so the pieces are about 1/64" thick on the narrow edge and make the next cut...and so on. I use a set of Grippers to hold the stock, works well as I still have all my fingers, I use these on everything. To glue them up, I lay out two pieces of painters tape and lay out the strips with a piece of flat veneer between each, then run a line of wood glue between each piece and roll it up using the tape to hold it together. If everything is fitting perfectly I use rubber bands to clamp them until dry, then drill and turn as usual.

Top Bottom