Statesman Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Old Griz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
OK... I am definately going to look into making one of these for myself...
BIG QUESTION... what is the absolute smallest blank that you can use... I have 2 pieces of Sindora Burl left that are 3/4"x6".. is that big enough.... if I am going to spend that kind of money on a kit and bits, I want to make it out of the most beautiful and rare wood I own...

PenWorks

3/4 and you better hit the center on the cap hole. 7/8 is better but I like 1" + I don't see as good as I used too, Anthony

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
OK that answers that question.. LOL... the sindora will be saved for another project... I am not taking a chance of screwing up that wood...
MMMMM maybe some real of that super tight curly maple I have... or some red amboya burl...

wayneis

Red Amboyna would be an excellant choise. I've done a Gent and Jr. Gent with it and just drilled a a blank for a Statesman. If you have a square blank and your drilling jig is square you can do a 3/4" sq. blank. Its only the top that is scarry. I just drilled and glued up a Hut Poly Pearl, the Golden Desert blank, similar to tru stone or Hut Poly Gem. It was a 3/4" blank and I did it without a meltdown or blowout. Another good wood choise would be the Thuya burl, I sent you some didn't I? The Thuya Burl I learned, you have to wet sand or else have a sand paper factory. I used BLO and it turned out nice. Bill Baumbeck has the kits and has oversize stabilized blanks is another choise.

Tom all I can say is to get a kit and give it a whirl, you will like the result. Its the nicest kit that I've made and I've made almost all of the Berea and Craft Supply kits offered.

Thats my fifty cents worth,

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom