Statesman Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from igran7

igran7

A couple of Statesman pens I turned a few days ago. The Thuya Burl is going to my son and I will keep the Lombardy poplar. Both blanks purchased from Arizona Silhouette. Critiques always welcomed.

Joe in Oregon
tn_Lombardy%20poplar%20Statesman%2099.jpg
tn_Thuya%20Burl%20Statesman%20FEB%2008.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

VisExp

There are a couple of blanks I have on my "wish list". I've just added Lombardy poplar and Thuya Burl :D Beautiful blanks and you did them both proud!

igran7

Thank you for your kind words. One of the reasons I posted the pictures was to show how stunning the lombardy Poplar wood really is. Bill at A.S. has had the wood in stock for quite some time now, but doesn't seem to sell a bunch to anyone other than me. The pictures of the wood on his website do not do it justice. In fact I purchased it by accident and almost returned it after receiving it, it didn't look like much in person either. Until I turned it! Wow, this is one of the most amazing looking woods I've worked with. I've made about a dozen pens out of this wood and all of them sold very, very quickly. It is definately worth trying.

Dawson

Joe,
GREAT looking pens. Thanks for posting and bringing this beautiful wood to our attention. What finishing process did you use on these pens.

igran7

Dawson, I used Boiled Linseed Oil and C.A. Sanded pens to 600 grit, applied boiled linseed oil with #0000 steel wool, wiped off excess oil and applied 2 coats of thin CA (light spritz of accelator between coats), two coats of medium CA. Wet micro mesh from 1500-12000 grit and finished the pen off with Novus Plastic polish.

jhs494

Both are very nice looking pens. The first really shows the depth of the grain. I would say it is my favorite of the two. Beautiful Work!

Top Bottom