Statesman Pen.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from WoodChucker

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodChucker

If you seen my post in the finish forum, this is one of the spalted maple blanks that I was having trouble with the color turning to dark and having grey areas on it. The second one I did looked so bad that I through it away, just couldn't like it. This one is pretty good but I sure wish I could get rid of the grey. Thanks for looking!
SpaltedStatesman.jpg

R.T.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

RT, very nice, someone looking for a spalted pen, will love it.You can't take out, what mother nature out in, [:D] I sold a spalted Tamerin yesterday and the person that bought it, would only look at spalted woods pens.

About throwing blanks away, the new pens I cut the other night with the new stabilized wood, I cut a third one. It was the one I wanted most but you did not see. It was a spalted chesnut. Although it came out nice, it was going to be a Statesmen, but I just wasn't sold on the looks. So I didn't put it together , but I always save the finished barrells. I have trays of finished barrells. I display them, and if someone happens to see & like it, & wants it, then I put it together.

Anthony

Daniel

R.T.
Glad you got a picture, and a very good one at that. still a bery nice looking pen. what I see in this is prety much what I saw in the blank I tested with my first sanding. It looked like the smoothing of the wood reveiled what was already there.I don't see it as well on the rough surfaces either so when all the greys and brown splotches started showing up it was a little suprising to me. I have one piece here that when I look for what colors woudl come out woudl come out real grey as well I think. and I mean alot of grey. maybe some additional spalting in the grain that is not attractive like the spalt lines we do want. I do know there are alot of formulas for causing wood to saplt. that is why I am wondering if this wood was soaked in something that messed with it's color. It originally came from E-Bay so I don't know the history of the wood. Dig out the other blank and show me a picture of it if you can.

jkirkb94

And the problem is??? I think your pen is beautiful; my first word was WOW! Look in my album pages 3&4 to see the bluish coloration in my ambrosia maple pens. These were cut from a 6x6x2 blank that I got cheap from my local Woodcraft store. The discoloration ( or coloration depending on your point of view) is what attracted me to the wood. I have wondered if your color changes are due to the the stabilization process (they were stabilized?) or maybe due to the natural spalting? (chemical changes due to the fungus?) What ever the reason I like the pen. I know one way you can get rid of the grey...send the pen to me for a long term evaluation![:D] Kirk[8D]

WoodChucker

Thanks everyone!

Like I said, this one turned out pretty good, there's lots of brown tones in it that mask the grey so you really don't notice the grey in it much. But the other one didn't have any browns at all, it was all dark grey and I didn't like it. It's not a big deal, it's just not what I expected it to look like. If most of them turn out like this one then I'll be happy. Thanks again!

R.T.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom