Statesman with Arizona Desert Ironwood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kaspar

Kaspar

1_Statesman_with_ADI_-_Open_-_001_-_med.jpg

One of several Christmas orders. Happy to get this one done. The finish gave me a bit of trouble.

The chatoyance on this is amazing, but of course the camera can't capture that. Still, I'm not 100 percent happy with the picture. Anyone have tips on how to shoot a better picture of so dark a pen? Do I need a different background?

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Len Shreck

I am very new and all I can say is WOW the grain in that wood and the finish on it looks great. Some day I hope to make pens that look that good. Len

Jim Smith

That is a beautiful; pen! I love Desert Ironwood and you did a fantastic job. I think the fact that you're never completely happy with your work is part of the reason your pens look so terrific.

Jim Smith

stolicky

I think that you captured the pen pretty well. Nice pen by the way.

If the background was a solid color, you might pick up more of the pen and its details. I have found that gray works well for me.

Kaspar

Thanks all!

Yeah, I'm thinking a darker, complimentary color for the BG will allow the camera to reveal more of the wood itself. Solid might be better as well, forcing the camera to bring the pen into even greater focus.

Cameras average everything out. In so many ways, they are no where near as good as the human eye.

toolcrazy

Gorgeous pen.

The only way I have found to get darker woods to show is over expose the shot a bit. Then re-adjust the picture in a good photo editing program. I have a DI Retro I will post tonight.

Bree

That's a real winner. Very fine work and a rare pen. Fantastic job.
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

mickr

photography is my weakest talent, so can't help there..but the wood & finish on this is fantastic

PR_Princess

Absolutely suburb pen Eric. Your customer should be ecstatic!!

I agree that the grain in the BG seems to compete with the pen, so maybe something a bit plainer (?)..The angle of this shot seems a bit different for you too. But that could be due to this funky monitor of mine. Hopefully one of our resident photo experts will chime in.

d1lb3rt

That pen is stunning! I'd be estatic to get that fit and finish on my work. Same thing goes for the pic.

Al

Top Bottom