Started but never finished

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wiset1

wiset1

So back in early January (7 months ago) when I still had time and ideas I tried a little partial herringbone Cocobolo, Brazilian Cherry and aluminum accents. Work kind of kicked in and ALL my free time vanished. So here I am in Detroit, MI of all places and I found the pictures on the computer and figured I might as well post them since it will be November or December before I see a lathe again. Well, enjoy

7670172568_854e01b86f.jpg

7670196416_4514caef38.jpg

7670165856_1dedf5fa12.jpg

Enjoy! :biggrin:

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mhbeauford

So back in early January (7 months ago) when I still had time and ideas I tried a little partial herringbone Cocobolo and aluminum accents. Work kind of kicked in and ALL my free time vanished. So here I am in Detroit, MI of all places and I found the pictures on the computer and figured I might as well post them since it will be November or December before I see a lathe again. Well, enjoy

7670172568_854e01b86f.jpg

7670196416_4514caef38.jpg

7670165856_1dedf5fa12.jpg

Great looking blank, Tim! Betcha got a lot of CA on your fingers.:biggrin: I've tried gloves but they stick, then tear and get glued to my fingers and that's harder to get off than the CA.

wiset1

So back in early January (7 months ago) when I still had time and ideas I tried a little partial herringbone Cocobolo and aluminum accents. Work kind of kicked in and ALL my free time vanished. So here I am in Detroit, MI of all places and I found the pictures on the computer and figured I might as well post them since it will be November or December before I see a lathe again. Well, enjoy

Great looking blank, Tim! Betcha got a lot of CA on your fingers.:biggrin: I've tried gloves but they stick, then tear and get glued to my fingers and that's harder to get off than the CA.

Martin,

Yeah, I always seem to get CA all over the place and get myself stuck to these things. You can see a little purple bits on the 1st image where I was pulling it off. Didn't care for those gloves and bought the black ones used by tattoo artists which seem to work better and hold up against the CA. I just miss being home and getting stuck to stuff :biggrin:

wiset1

Impressive Tim!! Were you able to drill and turn without a break? .020 Aluminum or is it thicker.

Very nice,:good:
Harry

Not sure the thickness of the stock...Home Depot Aluminum

I used sharp bits and lots of CA on the outside AND inside as I drilled it. I tell ya, I take my time drilling blanks like these after I make them. It may take me the better part of 30 minutes or so just to keep the heat from breaking down the CA bond.

wiset1

Very nice. I have one that is cherry and maple that I plan to use soon. I like the multiple colors in yours.

I thought the cocobolo would have been darker against the Brazilian Cherry, but really it was a pretty close match minus the grain when the CA soaked in. I'll try different woods next time. Best of luck with yours

SDB777

A lot of effort to have to wait until Nov/Dec to finish...but at least the income is coming in. Use to drive an over-the-road big rig, and was gone for long periods of time too. Money was great but never had any time to do anything but get ready to go back to work(no way to live).

Look forward to seeing more from you in the future!

Scott (very cool metal) B

OKLAHOMAN

Really, really nice. You guys doing all this type of segmenting keep the CA sellers in dinner money:biggrin:.

I found if you turn them round first and drill while in a 3/4 inch collet chuck slow, real slow....I did say slow and clean out the waste often
it works fine for me.

wiset1

Tim,

Awesome work, as expected. Good to see you posting again. Have you had a chance to test drive the new metal lathe?

Jason

Jason, I wish I could say yes, but honestly it sat on the bench till I had to pack it to move into the new house. I won't have time till after the season in November. Then it depends on who won and that will determine how much more travel I have or back to business as usual with free time. I'm sure you know

LL Woodworks

Good to see you post Tim. Understand the work thing getting in the way, been there done that! What is your profession if I may ask? Best regards and it will be good to see you turning again.

wiset1

Good to see you post Tim. Understand the work thing getting in the way, been there done that! What is your profession if I may ask? Best regards and it will be good to see you turning again.

Sorry, I can't get into it on an open forum like this, but it's a position that has me on travel status that will slow down after November.

Very nice, Tim. Didn't you make Jonathon a blank similiar to this one?

I sure did, but he's been pretty busy getting ready to be a Daddy so I'm sure you'll see it hit the IAP one day. Here's the blank I made for him

6737203685_5eec666794_n.jpg

jasontg99

Tim,

Awesome work, as expected. Good to see you posting again. Have you had a chance to test drive the new metal lathe?

Jason

Jason, I wish I could say yes, but honestly it sat on the bench till I had to pack it to move into the new house. I won't have time till after the season in November. Then it depends on who won and that will determine how much more travel I have or back to business as usual with free time. I'm sure you know

Tim,

Haha. Sure do. Out of the last 180 days, I have been gone for 156 of them. I bet you are looking forward to November.

Jason

Last edited:

wiset1

Jason,

I sure am! I was at home for a grand total of 12 hours between these last two trips and it's already getting old. I'm starting to second guess my decision to take this job. Hope things slow down after the first of the year...it would be nice to see my family, and maybe turn a couple pens.

Brooks803

Sorry, I can't get into it on an open forum like this, but it's a position that has me on travel status that will slow down after November.

Very nice, Tim. Didn't you make Jonathon a blank similiar to this one?

I sure did, but he's been pretty busy getting ready to be a Daddy so I'm sure you'll see it hit the IAP one day. Here's the blank I made for him

6737203685_5eec666794_n.jpg

Still haven't been able to turn it Tim :redface: Ayden's been great. It's my back that's keeping me from turning it. Right now the blank sits on my desk reminding me.

wiset1

I know brother, heal up! You need to be able to play tea, and dress up when she's older. Dude...you're going to have pig tails and makeup on, ha ha ha....oh, wait...me too, crap.

Top Bottom