From Start to Finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wdcav1952

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Anyone who knows me knows full well that I did not make this blank. I'm not sure that my skills were worthy of the blank, but I tried my best. Stealing ideas from Gerry, I used only half an inch of tube in the closed end to cut the weight. This made finishing the closed end problematic, as those eagle-eyed viewers will see. The final picture is my anthracite dust/CA cabachon. This nearly drove me the rest of the way to crazy. Comments of all flavors welcome.

200773235637_100_2215.jpg

200773235725_100_2251.jpg

200773235757_100_2252.jpg

20077323599_100_2255.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

Cav, Very nice job on a fantastic blank, I've had the pin chucks for a while now and just haven't done a closed end guess I'M JUST A LITTLE "CHICKEN".

gerryr

Invoice is in the mail for "idea" and my copyright attorney will be contacting you shortly.[:D]

Great job and a great blank, William. I like your cabachon too. The whole thing looks very elegant.

wdcav1952

Originally posted by aussie_chick
<br />Gorgeous. Absolutely beautiful. Would you mind telling me how you did that. It is nice
Toni

Toni,

As I said, I did not make the blank, it was a gift. I used a modification to my Fangar pin chuck to turn the closed end.

alamocdc

Cav, I think you did the blank proud. I do think I see what you were talking about, but I'm not sure the extra two inches of brass tube would have added that much weight. Especially considering the missing end cap with it being close ended. Even You Know Who's masterful blanks wouldn't weigh that much. Not trying to be critical, buddy, just scientific (you know me). All in all, it's a beautiful piece and I really like the cabochon.[^] It adds an extra touch of sophistication.

Fangar

Great work Cav. I wouldn't be able to miss one of his blanks, but you turned it well. Nice work lining up the details in the closed pen as well. Thanks for sharing.

Fangar

wdcav1952

Billy,

You are right about the weight. I am often "accused" [;)] of being rather plain jane in my ideas, so I wanted to try something different for me. I drilled a hole just large enough for the spring and refill, and then a counter sink hole about 1/2" deep with the 27/64" drill for a section of tube. I hoped leaving the wood slightly thicker might make the inlays more stable. Not very innovative, I know, but it is a baby step for me. [:D][;)]

Gerry,

If the invoice arrives today, I will pay it promptly! [}:)]

gerryr

I think the weight savings with a short tube section is probably inconsequential, since you then have thicker wood beyond the tube. What is does do is allow you to taper or otherwise shape the pen toward the end with less chance of hitting the tube. When I do it that way, I always make a jam chuck out of a poplar dowel so the whole thing has more support along the length.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Great job, Cav.

The idea of maximizing the "remaining wood" seems, to me, to be the ideal here. The smaller the hole you drill, the greater stability remains.

GOOD PLAN!! And nice result.

"The Feathered Look"[:D][:D][:D][:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom