stars and stripes JG roller

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RAdams

RAdams

Banned
My first stars and stripes kit. I had alot of fun doing it.

Junior Gent rollerball in Black Titanium
Sanded to 1500 MM.
Stock trim
7 coats of thin CA for finish. (My medium CA turned into THICK CA. I tried to use it to put more finish on, but it clumped up instantly... way too thick.)

Attachments

• 1_starry_day.JPG
    1_starry_day.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 276
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

Looks to me like you have a beautiful pen. Congratulations on a neat kit put together very well. Seems like some med CA does that. Yes, I have a bottle like that also. I looked all over for info on thinning but found none. Throw away. Now use Montie's.
Charles

RAdams

Banned
Thanks for the compliments! I had my concerns when doing it, that is for sure. I was worried i didn't get the stars deep enough, then i was worried the gorilla glue would push them out when i glued the tubes, then i worried the whole time i was turning both halves. It was an experience in turning EXPENSIVE blanks. super light cuts, with tools as sharp as i could get them. I am happy with the turnout. I just hope the recipient likes it!

This is Montie's glue (I believe). It is pretty old, and the temperature fluctuations in my shop are pretty extreme. 30 or more degrees difference from night to day. I thought about putting some (a few drops) acetone in the bottle. The way i see it, It is already all but ruined, so it would be no real loss if it does not work. If it does work, I will post the results.

Ligget

Beautiful pen Ron, I bought some of those blanks ages ago and still to muster the courage to make them, you may have encouraged me with your great work!

RAdams

Banned
Beautiful pen Ron, I bought some of those blanks ages ago and still to muster the courage to make them, you may have encouraged me with your great work!

Wow. That is the ultimate compliment to me! Thank you Sir! I look forward to seeing yours posted soon! You are much better at pics, and penmaking in general so it should be a showstopper!

Mine came with a little instruction sheet on how to glue it all up. I did it similar to the instructions, but not exactly. I used a small rubber band to hold the stripes together while i glued them, using thin CA with a couple of good soaking, dripping coats inside and out. Then i cleared the center with the drill press.

For the stars, I used the watered down wood glue technique to get them in, but once that all dried, I used a generous coat of thin CA inside and out, followed by clearing the center again on the DP.

I wrapped tape around the outside of both blanks for glueing the tubes in. I like gorilla glue, but was concerned it might push the pieces apart, or out when it expanded... hence the tape.

After that, it was pretty standard stuff, just nerve racking.

glycerine

Wow. That is the ultimate compliment to me! Thank you Sir! I look forward to seeing yours posted soon! You are much better at pics, and penmaking in general so it should be a showstopper!

Mine came with a little instruction sheet on how to glue it all up. I did it similar to the instructions, but not exactly. I used a small rubber band to hold the stripes together while i glued them, using thin CA with a couple of good soaking, dripping coats inside and out. Then i cleared the center with the drill press.

For the stars, I used the watered down wood glue technique to get them in, but once that all dried, I used a generous coat of thin CA inside and out, followed by clearing the center again on the DP.

I wrapped tape around the outside of both blanks for glueing the tubes in. I like gorilla glue, but was concerned it might push the pieces apart, or out when it expanded... hence the tape.

After that, it was pretty standard stuff, just nerve racking.

Now that's smart. With every one that I've done, I roll up sandpaper to fit through the center and hand sand it. Never thought about just using a drill bit!

Parson

I've always wanted to buy that kit and try it. I think I shall buy it for myself for Christmas this year. Thanks for the encouragement! ... and nice work there :)

Jon-wx5nco

The part that scares me is you cant use a pen mill to square them. I don't have a disk sander... yet. Once I get one of those and a squaring jig, I will give them a try

RAdams

Banned
Wait a minute.....

Why can't you use a pen mill to square them up? I missed that memo. In fact, this pen was done with a pen mill. In fact, ALL of my pens are done with a pen mill. I dont have any of the other fancy squaring equipment either. Just a crusty, hand sharpened pen mill.

Jon-wx5nco

Really? I read some where... I don't recall just off hand where, but you couldn't use a pen mill because it would tear the blanks up?

glycerine

Really? I read some where... I don't recall just off hand where, but you couldn't use a pen mill because it would tear the blanks up?

I could see that happening, but I think the fact that Ron used a ton of CA glue probably helped... the thing was basically stabilized by the time he trimmed the ends, I'm sure.

RAdams

Banned
yup! I SOAKED that bad boy in thin CA, TWICE! Then when i used the mill, I used it in my drill press, at pretty high speeds, and very gentle light cuts. I even had to turn a spacer for the cap! Worked out nicely.

Top Bottom