Stars and stripes bolt action

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from yorkie

yorkie

First time splicing two acrylics together. Not sure if my method was the right one or not. I turned the stripes to mostly done and then glued the stars onto the tube and turned that down and then the whole barrel. It was a bugger milling such small pieces though, I used rubber gloves to grip them.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_3438.jpg
    IMG_3438.jpg
    333.4 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_3437.jpg
    IMG_3437.jpg
    331.6 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_3488.jpg
    IMG_3488.jpg
    387.9 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_3490.jpg
    IMG_3490.jpg
    363.1 KB · Views: 141
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

longbeard

You done a great job. Seam looks good.
Glueing the 2 pieces together would be easy, i would have a problem drilling the stripes blank straight.

Harry

yorkie

I want to do one of these as well. Any tips on the two blanks together would be appriciated!

i cut and tubed the stripes, leaving enough brass left for the stars. I milled the stripes on both ends and then glued the stripes on the tube with enough brass left for the stars. I turned the stripes mostly to the bushing and then milled the stars on a spare brass tube. I glued the stars to the tube with the stripes on it, mating the two milled faces and finished turning to the bushings. Hope that helps.

Sawdust1825

Looks good! I have done some of these as well and I can't tell if you have the same issue I did or not in the photos. The stars blank is translucent and allows the tube and glue to show through. So my fix is to paint the tube and inside of blank black before gluing. I suppose you could use blue as well. Nice job though.

Top Bottom