Stars and Bars Version 2.3

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BRobbins629

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
or why I bought the multi start tap and die. PR, CZ, 6061 Aluminum, El Grand nib.

2008321233222_SandB23closed.jpg

2008321233313_SandB23Open.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

johnnycnc

Awesome pen,Bruce!
There are so many cool things going on
there,it's hard to pick the neatest feature.:D
I think the top finial is most unique.
Wonderful ideas brought to life.[^]
Thank You for sharing with us.

OKLAHOMAN

Don't know if I should stand and salute or sit down for a haircut;)! Either way its just outstanding![:p]

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Originally posted by OKLAHOMAN

Don't know if I should stand and salute or sit down for a haircut;)! Either way its just outstanding![:p]

LOL.:D
I was thinking the same, but I'm glad you said it instead of me.;)

That really is pretty cool. Well done Bruce[8D]

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Thanks for all the nice comments.

Johnny - couldn't have done this without your index plate - it worked great.
Roy and Skip - Just salute; when I figure out how to put a light inside for my barber pole pen you can get a haircut:)
Holmger - used a glue called Gem-Tac from Ben Franklin. CA would be way to fast to get them set. I carried around a prototype for this for several months and no stones fell out. Some day I will figure a way to set them properly but for now this will do.

Chuck Key

Bruce,

I am sure there are about 35 people here patiently waiting for your report on the use of the tap and die set along with the results of the 10mm tap performance. Also, does the thread barrel section extend to the far end of the pen and did you cast over the aluminum or press the threads in some how after the cast?

One more question. Did you do the ball free hand or use some sort of ball turning tool?

Thanks,
Chuckie

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Chuck Key

Bruce,

I am sure there are about 35 people here patiently waiting for your report on the use of the tap and die set along with the results of the 10mm tap performance. Also, does the thread barrel section extend to the far end of the pen and did you cast over the aluminum or press the threads in some how after the cast?

One more question. Did you do the ball free hand or use some sort of ball turning tool?

Thanks,
Chuckie
The tap and die worked great as far as I'm concerned. I know there have been a few posts on concerns with metal to metal threads, but the aluminum to PR seems to work real well and is quite smooth. For me, the 10 x 1 tap also works and is quite tight. I did need to have a clearance hole a little larger than the 21/64 hole on the other side of the threads in the aluminum and did have to bore the lead to the threads for the nib shoulder but once that was worked out it was fine. The aluminum is a press fit into the bottom section and only goes in about 1/2 inch or less. Don't think this coupler will crack like some of the El Grandes. I think the real surprise to me is how much lighter this in than one with tubes and all those metal parts.

The ball was done with a tool from LMS. Wish I was that good freehand.

Top Bottom