Stainless Steel Desire in Irish Bog Oak

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Pat Keefe

Pat Keefe

A while ago, I checked out a few vendor's websites and was taken with the Stainless Steel pens of LazerLinez.

So off I order one and some TBC bushings.

After a few mis-adventures with shattering blanks, I decided to attempt the pen again, but dressed in timber. Looking thru the "private" collection I found an Irish Bog Oak that I got off George. So I consulted with Debbie, my wife, whom has very good taste and we agreed that the dark colouring of the IBO will contrast with the gloss of the Staino.

Now for the technical details, rough turned with 12mm Spindle gouge, shaped and finished with the 12mm skew. Sanded from 240 - 800 abranet, then polished to 12000 micromesh, eee, then 4 coats Aussie Oil.

So this pen is really an IAP pen :biggrin:

Attachments

• IBOD01.jpg
    IBOD01.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 223
  • IBOD02.jpg
    IBOD02.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 255
  • IBOD03.jpg
    IBOD03.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 213
  • IBOD04.jpg
    IBOD04.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 174
  • IBOD05.jpg
    IBOD05.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Irish Bog Oak, huh...?:eek:

Well, I never had that for sale and I don't recall the reason why that blank was sent to you but, if you are sure, I accept that and I'm still puzzled because, I got a few of those blanks in exchange with some of my top blanks, I don't remember to whom but, they are in my private collection that every so often I share (if I have more than a couple) with some friends when they are after something special that I don't sell in my web-store so, if you got one, I should have had a good reason to sent it to you.:wink::biggrin:

In the old days and when we would see lots of members offering their blanks for sale or exchange, I would use that opportunity to get/buy/exchange a bunch of blanks from wood species I know, I would never get in Australia, when possible, I would get 6 to 12 blanks of each so that I had a few extras to share but, I have not been able to do that for a very long time, indeed, since the "advertising" rules changed on IAP, and if I recall it correctly, the only blanks I purchased was from Mark James only a few weeks ago when he offered some wood species blanks that I didn't have or had 1 off, I've got a small number mostly pairs.

Anyway, I haven't seen that pen of your's before so, congrats, you've done a magnificent job with it...!

Cheers
George

Last edited:

Pat Keefe

George, you sent it to me, as part of the pendent buy up. I kept it till a special pen turned up and I felt that I could do the blank justice.

Brian, thanks for the kind words.

robutacion

George, you sent it to me, as part of the pendent buy up. I kept it till a special pen turned up and I felt that I could do the blank justice.

Brian, thanks for the kind words.

I reckon, I got those bog blanks the day I put your blanks together for you, it would make sense because, when I get blanks they go straight to the lolly-shop where the box is open, having them there and knowing you have been a good buyer and friend, I throw one in as a surprise.

You are in the process of buying some more blanks from me and I will use the opportunity to send you some blanks of one of my woods that it will look exactly the same as bog-oak or Ebony if you follow some advice I shared already with the IAP friends, some time ago, I betcha everybody has already forgotten, have a look here

I hope I don't forget to put some in the box...!

Cheers
George

Top Bottom