Stainless steel clicker

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Displaced Canadian

I have learned if you let your lack of equipment hold you back you won't get anywhere. I asked Mr. Jackson how hard it was to shape stainless steel with a file and he said it wasn't hard just be gentle. After a few false starts and a few explosions and design changes this is the end result. Made from stainless bolts from the local hardware store and a click mechanism from Richard Greenwald and the other half of the faux ebonite blank. The pen uses a Zebra refill because I like them and they are slightly shorter than a parker. The pen is 11.5 mm wide. I learned a lot with this one. I now know I need to use better light when finishing and to be a bit more gentle with the file. :redface: All comments, insults, and observations wanted. Thank you Steven for answering my questions and thanks for looking.

Attachments

• Stainless1.JPG
    Stainless1.JPG
    206.5 KB · Views: 498
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
The hardest part is getting the pilot hole drilled. Once you have a small hole through the middle and you're just making it bigger it drills very easily. If you get impatient and touch the blank right after drilling the pilot you might burn a finger DAMHIKT.

SteveG

I have a metal lathe, but if I did not, I still would not attempt this. I admire your spirit in this attempt, and deem the results quite admirable. This should be a "KEEPER". File on...file on...file on.
Steve

Ed McDonnell

This one gets a "10" from me. Super job on polishing the stainless front section. Is the front section a single piece with grooves filed in (and colored) or is it 3 pieces with dark rings between the 3 pieces?

When I first looked at the Front Section I thought "perfect form". Then as I stared at the picture a while imagining all the filing, I suddenly found myself thinking "is the upper part of the front section just the tinniest bit too fat (bulged out)?". Thinking some more, I'm thinking it has something to do with the camera angle or my eyes going wacky from staring at it too long. In any case, it looks great.

Did you fabricate the housing for the click mechanism? Looks like maybe some scratches on it that didn't get polished out. If that's the plating on the purchased click mechanism, probably not a lot you can do.

Ed

BSea

That is OUTSTANDING!!:highfive:

What kind of time do you have invested in this? I would think many hours of patience if using a file.

JD Combs Sr

At a loss for complimentary expletives, appears that all have been used, let me just say I agree with all of them.:wink: I do have one question. Did you fab the clip also?

The clicker isn't the usual one people use, this one is just the basic mechanism. You have to make the button and the housing around it. It's a press fit so I used the top cap to hold it in place. It fits tight I had to press it in I just wanted to be sure it stays in. I bought the clip maybe some time I'll try make one. Indy pen dance and Exotic's cary that clip. The black rings on the bottom section are separate pieces the top ring against the blank is a stainless washer. When I get home I'll post an exploded view.

Time wise it was about 2 weeks of here and there on nights and weekends. There was some time used up in turning plan A and waiting for taps and dies. I need to take measurements and notes on this one so the next goes more efficiently.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Wow Chris, that is pretty special indeed !!! Not only did you make a great job in the execution, but the entire pen looks 'right' if you know what I mean.
I would have been very proud to produce something even close to that, so thanks for the mention, but that very cool pen is 100% down to you!!!
Very well done Chris!!! :)

SteveJ

It's amazing what people do on this site. Another challenge. I've got to stop coming on the site since I keep seeing things I want to try. This is one I may never get to but it is real nice.

There are some extra parts in the picture. I just wanted to show the difference in length of the refills. The brass thingy is the clicker. It's a press fit and I'm not going to take it out. The bottom is 5 pieces but is refusing to come apart. The nib is threaded on to the next section with the black ring at the joints. The top black and silver ring just slide on but I think when I put it back on the lathe to take a second crack at finishing the heat from sanding seems to have turned it into one piece. Next time I'll take pictures as I go.

Attachments

• Stainless1 parts.JPG
    Stainless1 parts.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 173

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
A really nice pen Chris. I started on a SS pen, and got a finial :redface: Last month! I like the click mech too. Your efforts paid off. It was good of Steven to render some help.

BSea

So how does the stainless click cover (small part upper right in the picture) stay on? everything else makes sense to me, but I'm not grasping that part.
92905d1365557985-stainless-steel-clicker-stainless1-parts.jpg

BSea

I'm going to put a dab of epoxy in it before I slide it on. I haven't yet because I just assembled it to see if the total length was right.
That makes sense. There really wouldn't ever be a need to remove it.

You realize of course that your about to have every kitless hack out there try & copy you.

Gotta go now . . . . . . . I need to buy a few pen parts.:biggrin:

Top Bottom