Stainless Steel braid -- Sierra Vista

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Mack C.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
attachment.php

My good friend from Aussieland (gawdelpus) cast this blank for me on a Sierra Vista tube. Ernie @ Beartoothwoods supplied the kit. All that was left for me to do was turn and finish.

I'm not certain of the casting material, but it turns like butter, and finishes superbly.

This one was turned with a Woodchuck, then sanded lengthwise with 4oo grit AO paper. Then onto 0000 steel wool, both with the lathe running and lengthwise with the lathe stopped. The final buffing was done with Autosol paste, NuFinish Scratch Doctor and Turtle Wax "ICE".

I particularly like the monochromatic look of the pen! Feel free to critique if you wish.

Attachments

• 394 (Small).jpg
    394 (Small).jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 765
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Looks good eh?

Good job there friend. These things look heavy, probably just an illusion. Interesting finishing regimen?
I hear there's a world wide shortness of hydraulic line because of this fad?:biggrin: Turning them also causes stuttering.:biggrin::biggrin:
Carry on.

jttheclockman

Hi Mack

That came out real well. Nice kit with it. They do look better in person don't they???

Have a question and I see you are not the only one who uses it but I see you use 0000 steel wool. Is this a Canadian thing?? :biggrin:I would be very scared to use that on a spinning lathe plus to me it leaves minute scratches. What is the reason of using this as opposed to using micromesh pads??? Thanks for showing.

Last edited:

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hi Mack

That came out real well. Nice kit with it. They do look better in person don't they???
Hi John; I'm very taken with the looks of this kit and the way the blank turned out.

Have a question and I see you are not the only one who uses it but I see you use 0000 steel wool. Is this a Canadian thing?? :biggrin:I would be very scared to use that on a spinning lathe plus to me it leaves minute scratches. What is the reason of using this as opposed to using micromesh pads??? Thanks for showing.
I have no idea if it's a Canadian thing or not. I picked it up from a method suggested by Les on another forum. You must be very judicious in sanding lengthwise to eliminate what you call minute scratches. A rule I follow in turning/sanding is turn fast, sand slow, so no need to be afraid of the spinning lathe.
The use of the Autosol paste, basically a twin to FLITZ (which I have run out of), as well as the NuFinish Scratch Doctor removes all of the minute scratches.

I examine the blank under a 10 power glass to be sure.

The above protocol as opposed to using micro-mesh, no particular reason. Tried it once, was very satisfied with the end result, and the rest is history.

scotian12

Yes John...it's a Canadian technique :). 0000 fine steel wool can be purchased at Lee Valley. The product is designed for the lathe and easily separates. I use it on wood pen blanks after I have applied a sanding sealer and on subsequent coats of Lee Valley turners polish (a lacquer). Yes, it will catch on the bushings, rough wood on a tendon (euro pen blank). Best way is to hold it on your finger ( not around it) and hold it under the blank on the lathe. If the steel wool catches it will easily pull away from your finger and wrap around the pen blank. Darrell Eisner

jocat54

Nice pen Mack. I too have been using 0000 steel wool for a long time and am very satisfied with the finish it leaves. Have heard a few comments how some wouldn't let steel wool touch their pens, but I think it is as good as it gets.

Top Bottom