Stainless Steel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jcreasey

jcreasey

Last weekend, as a bit of an experiment, I thought I would try to make a pen out of stainless steel.

I'm pretty happy with it. It's nice to use because it is very heavy. I gave it to my boss at work and he really likes it.

_MG_4103-Edit-2.jpg

cheers,
John.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Welcome to the site John

I love all these newcomers jumping right in and showing us what they bring to the table. Fantastic. You chose a metal that is near and dear to another member here He goes by the name Skiprat (Steven) That is not an easy metal to work. Did you do this on a metal lathe??? What tools did you happen to use to spin this.??? How did you polish it?? I have done that same pen in aluminum. Looks very similar and of course a bit lighter in weight. Thanks for showing and we look forward to seeing more of your work.

magpens

Another beautiful pen !!! . I don't know how you work with stainless but I'd like to learn.

Also, I like the props you use in your photos !!!

gimpy

AAAAAAwsome pen, welcome to the site, I'm looking to learn from you, I have a metal lathe, and that would be some thing I would be interested in making, again, Fantastic job

jcreasey

Welcome to the site John

I love all these newcomers jumping right in and showing us what they bring to the table. Fantastic. You chose a metal that is near and dear to another member here He goes by the name Skiprat (Steven) That is not an easy metal to work. Did you do this on a metal lathe??? What tools did you happen to use to spin this.??? How did you polish it?? I have done that same pen in aluminum. Looks very similar and of course a bit lighter in weight. Thanks for showing and we look forward to seeing more of your work.

Hi John, thanks very much for your kind words!
I have a metalworking lathe (a Myford ML7) which I use to make all my pens, bushings, mandrels and sometimes even the cutters.

This pen was made from solid stainless steel bar. The hardest part was to drill it out. Once I managed that I just machined it to size on the mandrel as normal but using tungsten insert tools.

I didn't do much to the finish. Just gave it a few seconds with some steel wool, but basically that's pretty much how it turned. I didn't want to polish it as I was going for a satin kind of look.

I really appreciate the encouragement, and I have a few more photos which I will upload. I think I made my first pen about two months ago, so I am learning fast. My family and friends snap them up as fast as I can make them and I have even sold a few!

Top Bottom