Stainless Steeeeeeeeeeel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Mapster

Mapster

My new carry pen, a stainless steel Marksman! While I was in Mexico for 5 weeks I was unable to make any pens, so to compensate for that, I wanted to make something special upon returning. After visiting Mont Blanc a few times, I started to get some ideas in my head, and this is what I came up with! I am beyond happy about it and can't stop looking at it :biggrin:!!!

A Stainless Steel Marksman component set with both fountain and rollerball nibs wrapped in 303 Stainless Steel! The parts were machined so well that it was all a press fit. The lines were done on a mill and lathe for vertical and horizontal respectively.

Special thanks to Mike Roux for letting me use his metal lathe, and Mike Redburn for letting me use his mill for the linework. Also, thanks to Mark at Marksman for the component set, the "M" finial, and putting up with me :rolleyes:. I would like to add that I was very impressed with the Marksman component set, it is very well designed and executed.

My pictures still aren't very good, although I actually put some time into them this time around. All comments and critiques on the pen and pictures would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• SAM_0952-3.jpg
    SAM_0952-3.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 305
  • SAM_0959-2.jpg
    SAM_0959-2.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 242
  • SAM_0973-2.jpg
    SAM_0973-2.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 253
  • SAM_0982-2.jpg
    SAM_0982-2.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 254
  • SAM_0985-2.jpg
    SAM_0985-2.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 294
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I was just wondering if you got the pen done. Its your red/brown background that sucks your pen is great.

Mapster

I was just wondering if you got the pen done. Its your red/brown background that sucks your pen is great.

It is a black/brown background thank you very much! :wink:. I tried for about an hour and couldn't get the pictures right. It wouldn't focus right, it would be way too bright, it would be way too dark... I am working on that part. I probably need to darken it then. I will post a pic soon when I darkened everything and used flash

Mapster

Here is a picture I took with different settings, a little darker... I will try to take more like this in the future. This is the first time I tried to take decent pictures, so I am still getting used to the whole camera thing :wink:.

Attachments

• SAM_0979-2.jpg
    SAM_0979-2.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 196

76winger

I think it looks fantastic.

If anything could eek out an interest in me to turn metal, this could do it. But I know nothing about working metal, so I'll likely stay with wood, acrylics and component sets for the foreseeable future. That does look fantastic though. Great work!!!

Jjartwood

UNBELIEVABLE,
I can't think of a darn thing to say except, I AM Jealous that I didn't build it first!
That thing should be on the cover of a marksman Brochure and if there isn't one, they should start one to put that pen on!!!!!
Nice work

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Very nice Marshall. You're so close to making your very own pens :biggrin: Looks like I need a mill :wink::biggrin: (closer to my lathe) Your ideas are really escalating.

marksman

Marshall, WOW! That is an amazing looking pen. The metal work on your part is outstanding and the design is stunning. I never imagined such an awesome piece of work. Great job! Well worth all of the pre-sale discussions we had.:biggrin:

bitshird

Marshall, "you've come a long way baby" I remember when you first started posting, and look at yo now.
Great job and a pretty slick idea, I never ever thought about making a pen with Stainless sleeves, That is just too Cool.
I did 2 summer internships with the Kaiser Foundation, down in Mexico, but it was a lot different in those days,early 60s, but I still think they were the best summers I remember. The local people for the most part were wonderful folks, very hospitable and warm, even to the ugly Americans!

cnirenberg

Marshall,
Fantastic looking pen. I'm sorry I missed the turning party. I guess I do need to read my emails a bit more than "every now and again".

Mapster

Are you normalizing or annealing before/after working?

Ed, I am not doing either... Since I am not forging or putting any kind of major stress on the steel, I don't really need to. I am just peeling layers off. I just worked on it in it's purchased state and enjoyed the result

bluwolf

Awesome job Marshall. It's better looking than I thought it would be. Love the brushed on brushed look.

Mike

OOPS

That is an incredibly special pen. Its way beyond cool. I can understand why you want to keep looking at it. Its beautiful. Like the others I marvel at how well it compliments the Marksman kit.

Top Bottom