Stainless Octo-Flute

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jcreasey

jcreasey

Hi, I made this pen on the weekend.
It was for the son of our good friends who is turning 21.
Today I had it engraved with his name.
I'm really looking forward to giving it to him on Friday.

I just hope it isn't too fancy for his tastes.
All C&C welcome.

attachment.php

2016-04-03 16-26-40 (C).jpg

Attachments

• 2016-04-03 16-27-54 (C).jpg
    2016-04-03 16-27-54 (C).jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 622
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

A very nice touch. Another stainless steel fan I see. You and Skiprat should get along very well. Looks manly enough too. I am sure it will get well received. Thanks for showing.

jcreasey

That's a beautiful pen!!! Be prepared for questions on your process, etc. :)

Thanks Mark!

After I machined the tubes I just held them in my milling machine using a collet chuck on the rotary table and used the side of an end mill to cut the flutes.
Once cut I rotated the shaft 45 degrees and repeated.

This is a photo of the setup. (and speaker magnet collection :)

IMG_1311.jpg

Last edited:

jcreasey

A very nice touch. Another stainless steel fan I see. You and Skiprat should get along very well. Looks manly enough too. I am sure it will get well received. Thanks for showing.

He has made some amazing pens, and written some very handy notes.
I've got a long way to go yet!

JohnU

Very inspiring! I'm sure he will love it! I'm intimidated by the mechanical "know how" every time I see a picture of that caliber of set up. I would love to think I will be at that level some day but I'm too much of a realist. lol

jcreasey

Very inspiring! I'm sure he will love it! I'm intimidated by the mechanical "know how" every time I see a picture of that caliber of set up. I would love to think I will be at that level some day but I'm too much of a realist. lol

You never know till you try!
I'm much more intimidated by wood lathes and the thought of holding the cutting tool in my soft squishy hands. :wink:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Really cool pen. The octagon goes well with the kit. Well done:biggrin:

Chuck, you would need to demolish your cute little studio and build a workshop if you wanted to fit in a mill. :tongue:
I can hang it from the ceiling in the middle :tongue: AND....it ain't a flippin' STUDIO! :tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Magnificent! This is why my friends suggest I get a mill. :redface::biggrin: Awesome pen!

You are lucky. Most of my friends just suggest I shut up talking about mine.
:wink:

Yes...I am lucky! My friends are the best. Although can be a PITA at times :biggrin: Talk away John. We love to listen. :wink::biggrin: AND, see nice pens :wink:

More4dan

Very nice job. It has me looking for a mill again. (If only oil prices would climb up enough they'll quit laying us oilfield folks off).

I'd love to see one where you add a twist to the flutes around the body. An excuse to convert to CNC?

Top Bottom