Stainless Gent Jr

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jttheclockman

jttheclockman

Finally finished this one yesterday for a customer. He wanted a stainless steel braiding on a Jr. Gent kit. I am not sure this would have been my best choice but the customer gets what they want. I chose a Rhodium kit. This is the one where I posted my rant about the plating on the kit being too thick and it cracked the the end when I pressed the parts on. After recasting and after using Jeff's (workingforwood) suggestions of disaasembly I was able to save the kit and do the necessary fixes to make it work. Here it is and thanks for looking. As always any questions or comments are always welcomed.

IMGP0732.jpg

IMGP0725.jpg

Boz

Fantastic! Any car guy would love to have one of those. Where did you get the braided stainless? I was thinking of a performance auto supply like Summit or Jegs.

jttheclockman

Fantastic! Any car guy would love to have one of those. Where did you get the braided stainless? I was thinking of a performance auto supply like Summit or Jegs.

This is from Home Depot's plumbing dept. It actually is flexible plumber's pipeing the kind they use to hook up sinks and toilets with.:) The reason I like this stuff so much is because it is already coated with some sort of epoxy to give it a high finished shine, so when I cast it I don't have to worry about oils contaminating the casting which you can get from metals. You can get the products you talk about and some come in different colors too. Just too expensive for me. This is a whole lot cheaper. Get a 3 foot piece and you can get many pens out of it.

wizard

John, Handsome manly :biggrin: pen....by the way..Porsche makes a pen that looks like that...excellent job!!! Regards, Doc

MikeG

I really like this. I guess now I have to buy molds and learn how to cast to make myself one. Do you have to remove the rubber tube from the supply hose? If so how do you keep the braid and cover intact? I mean if it's not your trade secret?

Timbo

What don't you like about it? I think it looks fantastic! Please make another, if you don't like that one either, send it to me so you don't have to look at it any longer.:biggrin:

jttheclockman

I really like this. I guess now I have to buy molds and learn how to cast to make myself one. Do you have to remove the rubber tube from the supply hose? If so how do you keep the braid and cover intact? I mean if it's not your trade secret?

First let me say thanks for all the kind words and to Jeff for help in saving this not so cheap kit:) I hate to lose kits to the spare parts bins. Have enough of those when I first started learning this stuff:)

As far as the tubing goes. Cut the ends off with a hacksaw and the rubber tubbing slides right out very easily as long as you keep pushing it closed. Think Chinese fingers with this stuff. What is so nice with this stuff is the coating that is on there and the weaving does not unravel easily. I have done the brass also if you all remember my 4 metals castings. The brass is abit too yellow looking though and that maybe because of the coating but it sells also. The hardest part of making these is not the casting but the trimming to true up the ends.

Anyway thanks for looking.

ctubbs

John, haven't you learned yet, "The customer is always right."? Well, this time, he was.
Congratulations on a way beautiful pen and a great save.
Charles

srf1114

I've been trying to do a simular thing with Coaxle cable. Just couldnt get it to work, always ruined the braid trying to fit it on the tube. Will have to try with the flex pipe.

greggas

Nice Pen ....I like your originality. Too bad they don't make that kit in all rhodium because it would really pop (IMHO) if there was no gold.

jskeen

I like it on the platinum kit, but I think it would look cool on a black TI kit too, with just the trim matching the blank. YMMV. Nice save with the kit, and a good job in general.

jttheclockman

I would like to say thanks to all for the kind words. At least it seems to be a hit here. I have not heard yet from the recipient. They should get it some time next week. With the holiday Monday it probably will be the end of the week.

I do need to get in the shop and make a few more pens. This pen turning is fun.:)

Top Bottom