Stabilized Spalted Oak

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Super Dave

Super Dave

Stabilized Spalted Oak on a Gun Metal Cosmopolitan Kit . Mother Nature at it finest. This log sat outside my garage for months , I was very surprised with what happened. I'm glad I was too lazy to cut it up when it was given too me...

Attachments

• 6AA3E5A7-2E21-4DC5-87C9-64787A197C7E.jpg
    6AA3E5A7-2E21-4DC5-87C9-64787A197C7E.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 249
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Lovely !! . Perfect blank-kit match, in my opinion !!

That's a new PSI kit, I believe, and one that I will have to try ... it is very attractive. Some reservations about the nib ridge just where you hold the pen ..... what do you think ?

Last edited:

Super Dave

I agree, where the nib meets the wood it is a little curved like the center of a cigar pen. It's a new design , I'm not sure if I like it. i will make a couple more and see how they look. I'm also concerned about the durability of the clip.

Dave

OZturner

Beautiful Pen Dave,
Magnificent Spaltered Oak Blank,
I appreciate your concern about the Clip, it looks like it is anchored in a Vulnerable location where it could be subject to excessive bending forces, but the clip is reasonably Rugged, and will probably be fine. Time will Tell.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Brotherdale

Beautiful wood Dave. Do you know what type of Oak it is.
I had a red oak struck by lightning and I cut a couple of small burls off of it I am waiting for them to dry but I can see spalting in the cuts.
I haven't turned any oak yet but it is my favorite BBQ wood.

Super Dave

Dale , I'm not sure what type of oak, it came from Gainesville Florida, it was given to me by a co-worker . Months of tropical weather almost destroyed it. It was close to rotten in places.

Dave

Top Bottom