Stabilized Redwood Lace Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wolftat

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
This is another piece of wood that I am using to test a new stabilizer. It was sitting around the shop and was very light and much too soft to do anything with before. It soaked for several days and when I turned it, it starting looking very pink, I'm not sure if that is the natural wood color or if the stabilizer did something to it. There is no finish on this pen other than a quick buff. It has a better gloss than the picture shows.

Attachments

• IMG_1023.jpg
    IMG_1023.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 281
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Great looking pen Neil . That stuff you are using is awesome , have you tried to dye with it yet ?
I am still at the testing stages with this stuff and since I have no idea of what it is yet, I felt that adding any other chemicals to it may be a mistake. The margin for error is way too great, I will have to wait for Johnnie to be up and about again, he'll try anything.

Thank you for all the comments on this pen. It is hopefully going to be a product that will be available in the future to everyone. This stuff gives great depth to the wood (chatoyance?)and will save a lot of headaches with finishing. In the mean time, I will be watching these pens closely to see what they look like after time and abuse. I have several more blanks that I am stabilizing and will continue to test this chemical.

PaulDoug

Got to be honest, first look at the pen I though, not so great. But after going back and looking closely, it is a mighty pretty pen. The longer you look the more figure you see in it. Nice job!

S

spiritwoodturner

Can you share what material you're using, or is it a trade secret? Do you use pressure or just soak? I've used Pentacryl but it doesn't come out like the stabilized stuff I get on occasion from pros.

Dale

Top Bottom