Stabilized Pecan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from propencity

propencity

Had fun this weekend taking some old cut up spalted oak, pecan, hackberry, and buckeye burl and stabilized them using Cactus Juice. Took one of the pecan blanks and used it on a vertex clicker. Thanks for looking.

DSC_0001s_zps32198b5b.jpg

DSC_0003s_zpsddca7b56.jpg

DSC_0079s_zps916c38fa.jpg

DSC_0008s_zpsae954467.jpg

DSC_0014s_zpsb80c2c93.jpg
DSC_0021s_zps44680ae7.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ossaguy

Wow,that looks awesome!

How do you like the Vertex? I have 2 that I'm going to make for the first time.Any tips?

Thanks,
Steve

propencity

Steve, the vertex click pen is fairly simple to work with. Just drill using slow speed on the long tube to avoid burning the wood. Assembly is fairly simple, just be sure to remove any excess glue (before pressing) that may have deposited inside the tube; I use a round file to clean out any excess glue. Though I like the quiet click feature on the vertex, I still think the long clicker by CSUSA has a better built mechanism.

SDB777

Looks like your having fun with the stabilizing!

And the pen has a nice piece of timber on it now!!!

Scott (only stabilized after my first cup of coffee) B

BSea

I still think the long clicker by CSUSA has a better built mechanism.
That's funny. My 1st thought was that the long clicker would really look nice with the same blank. And I agree with you on the mechanism.

Amboyna, and the Aussie burls are nice, but I think we sometimes overlook some outstanding timber located in our own backyards.

toyotaman

Great work on the stabilizing and the pens. How long do you think a gallon of Catus juice would last for pen blanks only like the ones you did?? I'm thinking about getting a unit myself but I hate to buy a gallon of CJ all the time. I've got alot of spalted blanks. Maple,Hackberry,Oak,Sycamore.

propencity

Donny,
I started this batch pictured (plus I've added another 10 blanks not pictured) with about 1/2 gallon almost full of CJ and now still have over 1/4 gallon left. I reclaim the CJ that doesn't get used up. I guess it just depends on the condition of the blanks.

Top Bottom