Stabilized and dyed spalted Hackberry Jr Get Fountain in Rhodium

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from sschering

sschering

Yet another pen for my wife. She wanted one to use at work with black ink for signing documents.

I hope this is Hackberry. I got the blank from Hardhat in the November PITH. I stabilized it with cactus juice dyed with red Alumalite. That came out with good color but it was still a little pink so I applied some of the red dye right to the barrels, buffed the excess off with a towel and then finished with CA.

Attachments

• 1_IMGP6381__2_.jpg
    1_IMGP6381__2_.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 229
  • 1_IMGP6382__2_.jpg
    1_IMGP6382__2_.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 368
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Burr

Banned
You're a good man Scott! Our wives' usually carry a great collection. I'd sure like to hear more about the CJ/dye routine...I have a big tank and lots of CJ. Beautiful work sir!!

Last edited:

sschering

You're a good man Scott! Our wives' usually carry a great collection. I'd sure like to hear more about the CJ/dye routine...I have a big tank and lots of CJ. Beautiful work sir!!

The stabilizing part is just the usual process with a good dose of Alumalite dye added to the juice.. I let it soak for a few days after vacuuming and it got good penetration but it was still a bit pink. After turning and sanding to 1000 I dropped some of the Alumalite dye on a paper towel and applied it as you would a CA finish. After you get it nice and even (it'll take a few applications) I buff it with a clean towel to wipe off the excess. After that I finished with thin CA as normal.

I tried a 2nd set I stabilized with clear juice.. You still get nice coloration with a little more variation. On that set I tried to use WTF but even after letting it dry for hours the following coats would still bled out some dye onto the applicator.

I ended up finishing over the WTF with thin CA to seal in the dye.

Attachments

• BEUuDDl.jpg
    BEUuDDl.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 110
  • u1riGkb.jpg
    u1riGkb.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 148
  • OxmucWG.jpg
    OxmucWG.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 172

Charlie_W

Wow! A super job...Superior pen! At first look before clicking on the thumbnails, it looked like Trustone!
If your wife gets tired of it, just send it to Virginia!:wink:

OZturner

That is a Beautiful Pen, Scott,
Love your treatment of the Blank.
Fit is Great, Finish if Fantastic.
Definately worth all the effort.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Top Bottom