stabilization experiment results

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from darbytee

Status
Not open for further replies.

darbytee

Here's the first pen turned from the wood I stabilized with the oil based poly and the vacuum food sealer. It's a piece of redwood burl that had a couple of soft spots in it. I fortified the ends with thin CA and started with my grit gouge sandpaper a little sooner than normal but it came through pretty well. I think the stabilization would have been better if I'd drilled the blanks out before I put them in the sealer.

20053240121_rb2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

smoky10

The pen really looks great but would you call it a success? Do you think you needed to use the CA or would it have been good without it? I ask the questions because, like others here, I want to try it. Tom

darbytee

Thanks guys.

Tom, I'm not sure if it needed the CA or not. My gut feeling tells me no because of the way the wood turned, but I wanted to make sure that I didn't lose it because it had some really nice figure. I'm going to do the next one with no CA and see what happens. Again, I think the key would be having your blanks already cut to size and drilled before you stabilize them.

woodpens

Your pen came out great. The success of the stabilizing is only something you can tell. Redwood is definitely a good candidate for stabilizing. The figure is wonderful.

smoky10

Thanks Fred
Originally posted by darbytee
<br />Thanks guys.

Tom, I'm not sure if it needed the CA or not. My gut feeling tells me no because of the way the wood turned, but I wanted to make sure that I didn't lose it because it had some really nice figure. I'm going to do the next one with no CA and see what happens. Again, I think the key would be having your blanks already cut to size and drilled before you stabilize them.

opfoto

Great job. Nice looking pen. Glad to know that it seems to be a success. Will "borrow" your technique when I try it myself. Thanks for posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom