SS Tri-lobe with Blue PR

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from skiprat

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Well, the Christmas shopping is done. My Honey-do list is finished....so I had a bit of time to play today...:biggrin:
This ballpoint was made with stainless steel hex stock with just the grip area left unturned. 3 Sides were then fitted with blue PR bits to make the tri-lobe shape which is great to hold. The twist mech is in the finial / end cap. The three flats that the PR is fixed to was drilled with several holes to get a good key for the glue.

Fun to make and great to eventually get back in my toybox again.... I've just got an easy job tomorrow and Tuesday and Im off till the New Year.:biggrin:

Hope you like it. :)

Attachments

• DSCF2865.JPG
    DSCF2865.JPG
    245.3 KB · Views: 347
  • DSCF2866.JPG
    DSCF2866.JPG
    250.3 KB · Views: 319
  • DSCF2876.JPG
    DSCF2876.JPG
    284.2 KB · Views: 281
  • DSCF2879.JPG
    DSCF2879.JPG
    278.6 KB · Views: 415
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Very nice Skip as usual. You need a better shot of the blue lobes. It is a bit of a different design and bet it has a different feel to it. Thanks for showing.

One of these days I will have to play around with some stainless steel. Not sure if i would have the patience for it though.

Last edited:

SteveG

This, as outstanding as ever, is apparently what you produce when you are pretty busy with life (You now...making a living, keeping the other (better) half happy, etc., etc.).:cool:

Now, with lots of time on your hands...Look out!

I think I better get some of that new water resist treatment stuff, to try to drool-proof my keyboard.:wink::biggrin:

Mr Vic

Love it Skip. What type of transmission and refill did you use? And the pen really is awesome...

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Thanks guys. :wink:

JT, not sure how to get a better shot of the lobes. I swear I was better at pics a few years ago, than I am now....:redface:

Here's a few more pics that hopefully show the lobes better. The blue looks a bit darker in the pics. It's actually similar to the IAP logo colours....

Attachments

• DSCF2885-001.JPG
    DSCF2885-001.JPG
    255.3 KB · Views: 201
  • DSCF2887.JPG
    DSCF2887.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 184
  • DSCF2890.JPG
    DSCF2890.JPG
    260.4 KB · Views: 246
  • DSCF2893.JPG
    DSCF2893.JPG
    165.3 KB · Views: 187

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Mr Vic, it takes a generic Parker style refill and the mech is robbed from a cheap kit. I think there are several kits that use this, or a very similar mech.
I like them and fortunately, haven't had one fail yet ( touch wood ):)

You can see that I had to shorten the spring a bit. Thats because I don't have a long enough small drill bit to seat the spring ( bigger than the refill tip )

Terredax, Stainless can be tough to work with but once you get the hang of it, it is a dream material......you just gotta show it who's boss !!:biggrin:

Attachments

• DSCF2896.JPG
    DSCF2896.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 251

magpens

I LOVE that pen !!!!! . It is supremely simple, sleek, and s--y !!! . It must be a joy to write with !!

Now, if only I could figure out how that stand works and "levitates" the pen !!!!

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
So far....I haven't seen ANYTHING you've made that, I can copy :redface::rolleyes:

Could you please tone it down a notch or 9? :biggrin: This one is really unique even for you. :wink: Thanks for sharing and, giving me something else to look at for hours. :biggrin:

BTW, how did you get that pen to pose for the camera that way??

Last edited:

david44

That is seriously nice! I am hoping to have a go at something different having been to Chester Tools and bought a new toy - I now have to learn how to drive it. I always find your work inspiring, you're a difficult act to follow!

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Dave, what did you get from Chesters? They are only ten minutes from my place. I have their DB10GVS and love it. :)

Best wishes to you too, Toni.:biggrin:

Last edited:

david44

Dave, what did you get from Chesters? They are only ten minutes from my place. I have their DB10GVS and love it. :)

Best wishes to you too, Toni.:biggrin:

I bought a Super Conquest and an ER32 collet chuck to take the collets I use with my wood lathe. Couldn't run to anything bigger - would have had difficulty getting anything heavier to my "workshop" (aka large shed). We had two nights in Chester and found a nice little French restaurant. :) Will be back in the New Year.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader

LouCee

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Magnetic nuts???

Thanks again for the kind comments. :biggrin: Always appreciated.:wink:

Ok, the secret of the magnetic levitating nuts is revealed in the attached pics....
I use two pieces of stainless steel welding rods with the flux removed to make fake refills. One is the same length as a roller and the other as a ballpoint.

Years ago I used the same rods but through a piece of cloth into a wooden base. I also have one where I drilled a hole through the feed of a fountain pen and the rod was hidden from view by the nib. But I very very rarely make fountain pens any more and don't even know where that dummy feed is now.

I filed a groove ( on the lathe ) to make the refill point and then bent it at an angle. I then carefully cut the ends to length...

Simple hey? :biggrin:

Feel free to use the idea if you wish. :wink:

Attachments

• DSCF2898.JPG
    DSCF2898.JPG
    278.5 KB · Views: 113
  • DSCF2898-001.JPG
    DSCF2898-001.JPG
    360.4 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:

bluwolf

That is a beauty Skip! It does look like it would be very comfortable to write with. It's amazing how much work goes into simple and elegant.

Mike

Top Bottom