SS Pegu Burmese Teak Sirocco pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from tjd

tjd

A Pewter Twist Action Sirocco pen made using salvaged Burmese Teak . The Burmese Teak I discovered on offer was part of the remnants salvaged in 2011 from a WW1 wreck, the SS Pegu. The Pegu was a steam cargo ship of the Henderson Shipping Company that was torpedoed by a German U-boat (U57) under the command of Carl-Siegfried Ritter von Georg on 8th July 1917. Unfortunately, the sinking suffered the loss of one life – that being the 22 year old 4th engineer, Robert Maxwell. The Pegu had been carrying a huge supply of Burmese Teak from Rangoon to Liverpool to be used in the fortification of heavy gun emplacements in France and Belgium.
The Teak had lay on the bottom of the Sea for over 90 years before being salvaged and the Teak was useed to repair the Cutty Sark Project after a serious fire nearly destroyed the renovation.

Attachments

• P1038809.JPG
    P1038809.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 251
  • P1038811.JPG
    P1038811.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 179
  • P1038810.JPG
    P1038810.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 208
  • P1038812.JPG
    P1038812.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 185
  • pegu.jpg
    pegu.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Nice pen, Thomas !! . Interesting story too ! . I must look up the location of the sinking.

magpens

Thanks. Near Head of Kinsale. County Cork coast. That's where Lusitania sank.

One reference for SS Pegu that I saw mentioned Crosby Channel, but don't know that location.

tjd

Thanks. Near Head of Kinsale. County Cork coast. That's where Lusitania sank.

One reference for SS Pegu that I saw mentioned Crosby Channel, but don't know that location.

There were two SS Pegu. this one was torpedoed in 1917 and the new SS Pegu was built after the sinking in 1921 run aground off Liverpool a few years later in 1939 and split in two.

Last edited:

magpens

OK, so it's the second one that ran aground in Crosby Channel near Liverpool.

Reactions: tjd

PenPal

Endless quest for history and verification John,go well mate. Either you become a repository or a salesman. Enjoy the journey.

Like the pen and the story.

Peter.

Reactions: tjd

tjd

Endless quest for history and verification John,go well mate. Either you become a repository or a salesman. Enjoy the journey.

Like the pen and the story.

Peter.

I am making many pens from these timbers .
I do have a few blanks to sell . shame to keep all of them.

Top Bottom