Spruce cone pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Vince_Hoffmann

This is a cast stabilized Norway Spruce cone. The cones are not very large so they lend themselves nicely to singe-piece pens.
This one is cast with bronze powder and a dab of liquid red dye and is finished with brushed lacquer which gives it a unique feel.

Attachments

• IMG_1424.jpg
    IMG_1424.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_1425.jpg
    IMG_1425.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 205
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tortoise

That's a beautiful pen! I love it that a whole pinecone makes the barrel. Quite a difference from the blanks that have bits and pieces of pinecones scattered about. Congratulations a great pen and blank!

Cabhog

Thats one sweet looking pen! Did you cast that yourself? If so what did you use?
I like the red its eye catching
Thanks for posting.

SDB777

Well turned!!

I've only turned the Afghan Cones, and was wondering if these cones turned anything like those?

Scott (sure is purty) B

Cabhog: Thank you! Yes, I cast it myself using epoxy resin. I find this to be much better than other casting resins because it penetrates much better and when turning, it does not melt or discolor due to heat friction from the tools.

SBD777: No, the Norway Spruce cone has very fine petals, almost paper thin. When I prepare a cone like this, I have to be extremely careful because the cones are very fragile, but once stabilized are quite easy to turn.

Top Bottom