Spring Blossom Pen in Maple Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from tgsean

tgsean

This is a Spring Blossom Pen done in Maple Burl from Exotic blanks, and finished in CA. Had problems in drilling the blank. The kit instructions said 14.5mm drill, but in reality the tube would not go in. So it probably needs a larger diameter drill bit perhaps 14.7mm. So I had to think outside the box again, and shifted the blank ever so slightly, and redrilled to enlarge the size as I didn't have any larger drills. It worked!:) Slightly oval hole though. Then the plastic bushings that I use while doing CA finish was too small as the tube was huge, hence I ended up using the metal bushings with apprehension but that too worked. The result was this pen. First time I was using Maple Burl, it turned well.:biggrin:

Attachments

• Maple Burl Spring Blossom.jpg
    Maple Burl Spring Blossom.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 267
  • Maple Burl Spring Blossom1.jpg
    Maple Burl Spring Blossom1.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 220
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

For all the 'issues', I'd say you won that battle and came out on the AWESOME side of things!!!!

Well done!

Scott (you'll remember this one) B

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Beautiful work with some great materials!

I also love the burl piece the pen is on; makes for a nice picture.

tgsean

Thanks everyone. George the reason for so many pens this month is really because I have a few orders. I have a project this year. All the funds raised without taking back my investment go towards putting my nephew through Bible school in Canada. I still have a few orders to go. Just got the majestic kit from Pennstate. I'm going to make some!

OZturner

What a Spectacular Maple Burl Blank the "Chatoyance" is incredible.
Sean, you have Hit a Winner with this Pen.
Apart from your drilling problem, which I hope you filled the "Ovality" with adequate Adhesive, your Fit and Finish is Magnificent.
The Spring Blosom kit sets the Blank Beautifuly.
Just a though, I can't help but wonder how that Blank would have looked on a less Ornate Pen, one that would not compete and just let the Blank take over?
If you have any more of that Blank it could be interesting to give it a try.
Congratulations on the pen and your great gesture with your nephew.
Brian.

Ogg

Sean good looking pen. Good looking blank that you used as well.

What's your opinion on the Spring Blossom pen? I've made a couple and it seems most that have looked at the one's I've made consider them a bit too large. It seems the most of the folks I deal with like the Roman Harvest/Cambridge pens. Was kind of curious about your or others experience with the Spring Blossom pen.

tgsean

Thanks Ozturner

I do have some more of those blanks, I will keep your suggestion in mind for the next one. Thanks so much. Appreciate that.

Top Bottom