Splice-Repaired Gentlemens Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jim in Oakville

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

This is one of those pens where the blank blew out and I thought I'd lost the pen. I managed to find the cut off from the sizing process and try to fit it to the cap end. You can still see the splice line, but I think It's still okay, Comments are all welcomed,:)

200522544552_IMG_0970.jpg

200522544612_IMG_0971.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WoodChucker

Nice save! Your right, I can see the line but only because you brought it to our attention. I never would have seen it without you saying something. Thanks for sharing!

Oh, I almost forgot, great looking pen too! [:D]

tipusnr

Nice save. If you ever do have a problem with the seam showing too much - I wouldn't try to hide it...I'd emphasize it with either a burned line or making it the top of a ridge where to tapers meet.

Has worked on more than one occasion.

Originally posted by darbytee
<br />Great save Jim. Like the others, I wouldn't have noticed it if you hadn't said something.

Thanks every one for the support. Question though, if you were selling it, how much of a discount would you give on this percentage wise?

[:)]

dougle40

Good save Jim . I had to look very close and even had to go back to your write-up to finally find it . Sure wouldn't be that noticable to the average person picking it up .

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Good recovery.
Would it be possible to take that section apart and either Skew and burn a line with wire or experiment with some ca an possibly ebony saw dust or a powder as an inlay?
Don't misunderstand, the splice looks good ,but as you pointed out its visible,an accent line there would "break" on the splice line and make the seam more pronounced but less noticeable.
Just a thought.
No matter what it's a beautiful pen.

Originally posted by cteaglesc
<br />Good recovery.
Would it be possible to take that section apart and either Skew and burn a line with wire or experiment with some ca an possibly ebony saw dust or a powder as an inlay?
Don't misunderstand, the splice looks good ,but as you pointed out its visible,an accent line there would "break" on the splice line and make the seam more pronounced but less noticeable.
Just a thought.

Thanks for your comment,

I actually thought of using a brass washer as a band to define the part line, I was going to turn it down glued up in the blank assembly, but I jut took a chance...I have never done inlay, the figure is busy so a clean line might have been the way to go...good points!!

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Jim in Oakville
<br />
<br />Good recovery.
Just a thought.

Thanks for your comment,

I actually thought of using a brass washer as a band to define the part line, I was going to turn it down glued up in the blank assembly, but I jut took a chance...I have never done inlay, the figure is busy so a clean line might have been the way to go...good points!!
Every time I do an oops band ,to me it sticks out like a sore thu,b.
In this case there is no Opps band.
I just fugred if you can't hide a flaw,show it off.
It would give the appearance that is how you glued it up to begin with.
Perhaps my term of "inlay" was the wrong useage.
What I envisioned was to skew a groove and add ebon;y or some kind of saw dust or powder in the recess.Seal with CA and let cure.
sand flush and refinish.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Jim in Oakville
<br />
<br />Good recovery.
Just a thought.

Thanks for your comment,

Every time I do an oops band ,to me it sticks out like a sore thu,b.
In this case there is no Opps band.
I just fugred if you can't hide a flaw,show it off.
It would give the appearance that is how you glued it up to begin with.
Perhaps my term of "inlay" was the wrong useage.
What I envisioned was to skew a groove and add ebon;y or some kind of saw dust or powder in the recess.Seal with CA and let cure.
sand flush and refinish.
Now you got me thinking about doing it on purpose,or did I get methinking that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom