Padauk with a maple band...
spiral_3.jpg

Spalted box elder...
spiral_2.jpg

Acrylic...
spiral_1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

broitblat

I just ordered the spiraling tools, but I don't expect to get the same results [:(]

Ed, I seem to think you've been doing some spiral work for a lot longer than you've had the new toys (at least on stoppers). In any case, great work!

YoYoSpin

The process is: turn to the final dimension, sand completely, cut the spirals, then buff using the Beall system. Also, the wood has to be hard and fine grained for this to work well. Comfort...I like textured pens that don't slip in your hand, so these work well for me.

melogic

Ed,
Wonderful job on the spirals! [:p] Was it any more difficult for the acrylic as opposed to the wood? Were there any differences in finishing or technique?

chigdon

I have had the texturing tool for a while and just recently got the spiraling cutter and jig for it. You beat me to it! Nice looking pen.

YoYoSpin

OMG...that is certainly an eccentric, garden aesthete. Thanks for posting the link.

Yes, the acrylic was much more difficult to buff out than the wood...but with enough Tripoli, you can defeat just about any pesky sanding or cut marks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom