Spiral

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Shep

Shep

This is a set I made for a friend at work. They are bubinga with maple and ebony in the spirals.

Attachments

• Spiral Maj Jr.jpg
    Spiral Maj Jr.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 285
  • Spiral Maj Squire.jpg
    Spiral Maj Squire.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 238
  • Spiral Maj Pair.jpg
    Spiral Maj Pair.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 258
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Shep

Do you mind sharing how you made the spirals?!?!

Glycerine:

I processed the bubinga blanks just like normal and turned them until they were maybe 1/64 oversize. I used a Beall Pen Wizard to cut the spirals with a 1/8" flat bottom bit. Groove depth was a few thousandeths below the oversize blank. You have to allow some margin as setting depth on the Pen Wizard is not really an exact science. The maple/ebony inlay strips were glued into the spiral grooves. They were only about 1/32 thick so they had enough flex to be forced into the spiral and then held with lots of rubber bands and clamps until the glue dried.

I tried six grooves but thought it was too busy and four was too plain. I ended up making my own index plate for the Pen Wizard to give 72 degree spacing and cut five spirals.

There isn't a lot of figure or obvious grain in the bubinga (most of it is away from the camera), but after cutting the inlays in the bottom of the pen, I matched the top blank grain to the bottom and marked the edge of the first spiral. By using that starting point, I was able to end up with both the grain and the spirals matching between the two halves.

Once the inlays were set, I put it back on the lathe and took it all down to the final diameter. Finish was a whole bunch of coats of Tru Oil gun stock finish.

glycerine

Glycerine:

I processed the bubinga blanks just like normal and turned them until they were maybe 1/64 oversize. I used a Beall Pen Wizard to cut the spirals with a 1/8" flat bottom bit. Groove depth was a few thousandeths below the oversize blank. You have to allow some margin as setting depth on the Pen Wizard is not really an exact science. The maple/ebony inlay strips were glued into the spiral grooves. They were only about 1/32 thick so they had enough flex to be forced into the spiral and then held with lots of rubber bands and clamps until the glue dried.

I tried six grooves but thought it was too busy and four was too plain. I ended up making my own index plate for the Pen Wizard to give 72 degree spacing and cut five spirals.

There isn't a lot of figure or obvious grain in the bubinga (most of it is away from the camera), but after cutting the inlays in the bottom of the pen, I matched the top blank grain to the bottom and marked the edge of the first spiral. By using that starting point, I was able to end up with both the grain and the spirals matching between the two halves.

Once the inlays were set, I put it back on the lathe and took it all down to the final diameter. Finish was a whole bunch of coats of Tru Oil gun stock finish.

Ah, thanks! I know of the pen wizard, but don't have one. Maybe I could rig up a jig of some kind...

Rfturner

Do you mind sharing how you made the spirals?!?!

Another way to do it as a "poor man's" way is to do some math and cut a zigzag pattern on the blank. The math is to figure out the finished dimensions from rough design. If your math is correct everything will be a spiral the design works well and i have done this before. The spirals will have an almost threaded looks. The down side to this is that your cuts have to be precise. The spiral will depend on the number of cuts and the angle you chose

Top Bottom