Spider web pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mb757

Status
Not open for further replies.

mb757

I made a prototype of a segmented Spider Web (lower image), it's made on a robusto. The wood is walnut and maple. I'm not thrilled with the robusto body, I think the next one will be on a Statesman and I have a couple of issues that I'm working on with the web body. I need to make a couple of adjustments in the way that the top cap segments come together and do a little better job of centering the lower body. Any comments are welcome. Mark

BTW - My son already took off with the prototype so I'd better hope this isn't my best work.

tn_Picture%20255_edited.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimBobTucson

For you folks who asked, there is a 2006 archived article in the library that show the process for the curved webbing. But trust me, it is not easy.

Mark, you have done a fabulous job lining the webbing up. The body looks great as well. I start working on a simular segment, but lack the time and talent you obviously have. Your son has great taste. I can not wait to see this on a Statemen.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Gorgeous workmanship! Very creative segmenting!

C'mon Louis and Laurie, you've seen those curves before. Look at any "knot" pen and turn the inlays upside down.

GK

workinforwood

They look great. I don't know where that article is at, but I do have it printed out for the spider pen. I built a couple, they were great. The hard part is ripping lengths of wood at 45 degrees and keeping them straight!

mb757

I do the top barrel a completely different way than the tutorial, it's much easier than that technique. I'll try to get a couple of snap shots of the left over pieces tonight and post them. Thanks Mark.[:)]

Randy_

That pen just blows me away. Terrific!! Reminds me of some of the work done by the big bird.
2007101853853_wave.gif
<br />
After you get the little details ironed out, that pen should be your ticket to membership in the Penmaker's Guild.

I agree that the Statesman would be a a good kit. I think the El Grande might be worth considering, too.

mb757

I'm enclosing a picture of some of the left over pieces that I used to make the pen cap. The blank on the left is how they start off, I rip a board at a 45 degree angle the length of the board. Keeping the blade at 45 degrees adjust the fence to give you about a 3/16" thick board and cut 7-8 pieces, I plane them down to 1/8" after I cut them. I cut extra pieces because at that thickness they tend to tear out on the planer. You want to keep the outer pieces and use them to sandwich the thin pieces and veneer between them. After the glue dries run the piece through the planer to get rid of all the excess glue and you can start with a flat surface. When your blank looks like the piece on the left, you need to make a perpendicular cut to the veneer at 30 degrees. Insert a piece of veneer between the six pieces and glue them together. I use rubber bands to hold them together. When you turn it you should end up with a piece that should look like the one on the right.

The pen below is an Atlas that's made of walnut and maple veneer with aluminum trim between. It turned out better than the first, but it's still a work in process.

tn_Picture%20261_edited.jpg

mb757

First Thank You so much for the kind words. I enjoy making things that you don't see every day. Second this may be off the topic, I don't have a gallery nor do I sell them at craft fairs. This is a hobby for me and it's fun to do. I have had several people ask me to make some for them, but have no idea what they are worth. What would you charge if you were to sell some thing like this (fair market value)? They are not friends or family, I want to be fair to the customer, but I don't want to price myself out of the market nor do I want to sell short. I'm just curious. Thanks for the input Mark.

mb757

Originally posted by Randy_
<br />That pen just blows me away. Terrific!! Reminds me of some of the work done by the big bird.
2007101853853_wave.gif
<br />
After you get the little details ironed out, that pen should be your ticket to membership in the Penmaker's Guild.

I agree that the Statesman would be a a good kit. I think the El Grande might be worth considering, too.

BTW who is the Big Bird? I'd like to look over his gallery and see where I can improve. Thanks Mark

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
http://www.penturners.org/forum/photo_album_cat.asp?sqldtl=1066

Eagle, a big bird with great skills. Does not sing like a canary and the war cry from this bird of prey can strike fear into the inept.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by skiprat
<br />http://www.penturners.org/forum/photo_album_cat.asp?sqldtl=1066

Eagle, a big bird with great skills. Does not sing like a canary and the war cry from this bird of prey can strike fear into the inept.

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Randy_

Originally posted by skiprat
<br />Eagle, a big bird with great skills. Does not sing like a canary and the war cry from this bird of prey can strike fear into the inept.

And so it is written in the book of life:

The eagle soared high above the land and squawked his merciless cry.

And the Gods heard; but were not afraid.

They seized his cry, for it was bad, and struck it still.

The eagle yet soars; but is forever silent.

And all the animals of the woods live in peace and are happy.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
The most important thing in this thread is that Mark made an incredible pen, one that I can only admire as segmenting such as displayed in this pen is far beyond my limited skills.

The second thing of note in this thread is a totally unnecessary and mean-spirited post about a former member. Words fail me as to the proper way to respond to the above non-teal posting. Rather than risk starting a flame war that would further detract from Mark's pen, I will simply say that the "book of life" post was about as tasteless a post as I have seen in quite some time.

Randy_

Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />.....Rather than risk starting a flame war that would further detract from Mark's pen.....

Most rational people would question the sincerity of that statemenmt. The best way to have avoided a conflict would have been for you to have remained silent.

GaryMGg

On Oct. 20, I received this email:
<b>
Code:
 date  Oct 20, 2007 9:18 AM   
 subject  Small favor   
In the post about the spider web pne
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28879
Teal Randy paid me a compliment.
Randy and I never seemed to get along but I would like to thank him for the kind words.
Would you let him know I appreciated his praise.
The guy who made the spider web blank did a great job though not the first. with that design but did use a different concept.
Thanks ,
Eagle.
</b>

Then, you post this:

Originally posted by Randy_

And so it is written in the book of life:
offense elided

Which confuses me 'cause I had no idea you'd read the Book of Life.
It's typically only opened on Rosh Hashanah.

Moreover, most who believe in the Book Of Life don't believe in Gods, only God. Hmmmmm?
Disappointing at least; grievous, appalling, and deplorable at best.

I, for one, AM Proud to Call Eagle me friend and will stand up and be counted as one who wouldn't let this post pass.

mb757

Thank You all for the kind words. Eagles work is very good, as is the work of many others. It is a compliment to be compaired to him. Thank You all. Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom