Spider test #1

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from workinforwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

workinforwood

This is my first attempt at the spider pen. The person that designed this is a genious. It's far more difficult than the pdf would make you think. I made my first one from a cigar kit. I want to make some as rollerballs, although I never made a rollerball before...but want to practice the design without wasting the money of a rollerball kit. It's not perfect yet...the center line is a bit off, and there's a small gap in one of my joints. I used goop glue...I should have stuck with the wood glue. It is 63 pieces and takes a few days of work...gluing and letting dry..cutting gluing...all that...but still not too shabby for the new guy I think.

My other pen is just a piece of white oak I scavanged out of my intarsia burn box. It isn't a burl, just a knotty area with some bark inclusions and checking...but looks just like a burl. I beefed it up a bit..modified slimline with a scrap of antler instead of a centerband.
spiderpen.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Husky

Awsome in my opinion!

If you don;t mind my asking, is the pdf file accessable somewhere?

workinforwood

absolutely...It's a design by Jim Boyd ? not sure I spelled his name right, sorry, but he certainly deserves all the credit.
http://www.penturners.org/content/SegPenBlanks.pdf

I wouldn't have this design if someone here hadn't pointed me in the right direction..so thanx to everyone for that too!

Jim Boyd

Sorry to bring up an old post, but it is nice to see someone do such a good job with the tutorial. I drop in now and then but don't have much free time with my new job. Sure see alot of nice pens being made by some talented folks here. Hopefully I'll have some free time this winter[:eek:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom