Sperm Whale bone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from yaroslaw

yaroslaw

One more unique material. Not Ukrainian, though, but found locally.

I've met one collector from southern sea-city of Ukraine, that had some pieces of sperm whale bones and teeth. Sperm whales were hunted prior to 1975 with Ukrainian whalers, and they took teeth and bones home as souvenirs. Now, as it's 38 years from ban, they are extremely rare.

Presenting you a Hybrid Cigar black titnium/platinum in sperm whale shoulder blade. Sealed with thin CA as it is a bit porous, then CA/BLO few coats to protect bone but not make "plastic feel" to it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here you can see a piece of bone, that I've got (nearly 1kg).
attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC_6984_sm.jpg
    DSC_6984_sm.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 597
  • DSC_6985_sm.jpg
    DSC_6985_sm.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 613
  • DSC_6987_sm.jpg
    DSC_6987_sm.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 579
  • DSC_6989_sm.jpg
    DSC_6989_sm.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 571
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kyaggie

Beautiful job on some really unique material. You mentioned that it is porous so I'm curious whether it is really light or is it somewhat heavy?

Mike

yaroslaw

It is very heavy, more lilke stone on weight, definately heavier then trustone.

Gee, not much response on that thread.

woodgraver

That looks awesome, I've been wannting to expirament with scrimshaw like art using my laser engraver, that material would be perfect for that. I've tried some alternate ivory and it does okay. Thanks for sharing this great work of art. I'm sure the owner will be very proud to have this!

yaroslaw

That looks awesome, I've been wannting to expirament with scrimshaw like art using my laser engraver, that material would be perfect for that. I've tried some alternate ivory and it does okay. Thanks for sharing this great work of art. I'm sure the owner will be very proud to have this!

Thaks. I just do not know if this would be good for scirmshow, as on this bone it doesn't have smooth surface you see on ivory or sperm whale tooth, it has some small cavities and pores.

I will some day share a sperm whale tooth pen (it's already shown on IAP... if you can find it), but geee, it's so expensive (and not stable) material! Probably close to mammoth tusk in price... Walrus tusk is somewhat cheaper, but come in odd size for penmaker.

Thanks for compliments, everyone. I'll try to stabilize small cutt-off part of it, to see if it's possible at all. May be I need to buy-out all stock (around 4-5kg) of that sailor, do you think? Can I have bank credit for that purpose?:)))

Top Bottom