Speedball nib holder

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from sebo_theos

sebo_theos

I turned this for my sister-in-law, who is in some graphic arts and drawing classes right now. Trying to do it without any kind of normal chuck was interesting, as all I have is a drill chuck. I ended up using the drill chuck to hold the 7mm center from a barrel trimmer and use a stop collar to keep the length not too long. I used a standard live center in the tail stock. then I just turned it to shape leaving about an inch at the end, and sanded all but the ends. Then I turned it off and sanded the ends by hand, then just did a simple wipe on poly for the finish.

I wasn't sure how well it was going to work, but she liked it a lot, though it only holds some of the nibs she has, I'll have to make a different holder for the others. Luckily the others just need a small hole drilled, whereas this need a 7mm tube and a nib holder I got from http://www.thegoldennib.com/ . I'm hoping some of the people in her classes will like it enough to order one.

Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• DSC02279.jpg
    DSC02279.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 1,542
  • DSC02285.jpg
    DSC02285.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 199

glycerine

Cool. I remember using that type in art class in high school. Of course our's were black plastic and not pretty wood like yours! I'm sure your sister-in-law will enjoy it. And you might have others asking you to make ones for them.

Top Bottom