Special Order Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from aggromere

aggromere

A young man called me about a week ago and wanted a custom pen with a cigar band. He brought it by the house. He said he had been saving it for a couple of years. It was the band from the last cigar his dad smoked before he died. Don't know how he kept up with it or why, but he wanted it on one of my pens like he had seen in one of the stores.

Just a simple little band from a Partagas cigar, nothing rare or special, but the kind of cigar that someone would smoke as a regular smoke. It is an alt casein top and light colored amboyna burl on the bottom. Earlier folks were discussing how many coats of CA to use. This has an undercoat of about 5 thin CA and then is finished over the band with about 20 to 25 thin, put on very thin. I wanted to make sure his special band was protected.

Since he came to me by way of a store, I am delivering it to the store tomorrow and the customer is going to pick it up there. That way the store owner makes his cut, but since I would have never gotten the customer without him, I thought it was the right thing to do.

I also am chasing after Doc with all his ebony and alt casein combo pens and such.

the other picture is of an Alt Ivory and Alt Ebony blank from Ed and Dawn. I might package them as a set for sale. That way the customer could have 4 pens. All Ivory, all ebony, ivory top & ebony bottome and ebony top and ivory bottom. thought that would be kinda cool. I stole the idea from someone on the forums that did that with two cambridge kits a while back.

Attachments

• IMG_0567.JPG
    IMG_0567.JPG
    438.2 KB · Views: 491
  • IMG_0577.JPG
    IMG_0577.JPG
    428.8 KB · Views: 348
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wizard

Peter. Those are some gorgeous pens !!! I think you not only caught up with me but passed me up with that beautiful alternate casein duo! Congratulations and thanks so much for showing! Love looking at your work! Regards, Doc

aggromere

I got it from Capt G who makes the laser Declaration of Indepence. I just have it laying out on my kitchen counter. I think it makes great pictures. Just search for Declaration of Independence and you can probably find his original thread. It really is awesome. Anything I post you are more than welcome to use. Most of my good ideas were stolen from the forums here. (I lied, it's not most of them, it is all of them).

aggromere

mostly just like everyone else more or less on the CA finish. On Amboyna I use BLO to darken it and wipe off all the excess, then put on three coats of thin CA with the lathe spinning slowly, hit with accelerator, stop the lathe and sand back and forth with 600 grit or 1500 mm. then sand with the lathe spinning. I repeat this process until there are no high spots without ca. then I glue on the band and let dry over night. Then I just put 4 to 6 coats of thin CA, a spray of accelerator, stop it and look at it, but dont sand. I do this till I have the surface smooth were you can't feel the band. I usually apply more coats to the ends of the blank to build them up to the band and then cover the whole blank. I may end up with 20 or more coats of thin to get it right. I think with no band 10 to 12 coats of thin would work well, or maybe even less.

Top Bottom