Spaulted Maple with a twist.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from CaptG

CaptG

A couple of months ago, a friend of mine gave me about 30 board feet of rough cut spaulted maple that he had and decided he had no use for. He called yesterday and wanted to buy four one piece twist type pens made from that wood for his boys. I told him no way was he going to pay for them. Here is the first, the other three are in the polish and buff stage (two coats ca and light buff) and the wood on them is as good as this one. I chose the rope twist to show more surface area of the wood. Now if I could just improve on my photo skills. All comments welcome and appreciated.

Attachments

• twist.jpg
    twist.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 332
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KDM

I love the twist. Is that hand carved? I'm gonna give that go but with a fatter kit.
Yeah, I know what you mean about the photos. I have the exact same problem!

phillywood

Blank looks nice and all that work you did for the twist blank. However if I were you i wouldn't put it on that kind of kit. It's way out of proportion and that CB looks too skinny for it. Other than that good job.

CaptG

I love the twist. Is that hand carved? I'm gonna give that go but with a fatter kit.
Yeah, I know what you mean about the photos. I have the exact same problem!

The twist is amazing. Would you mind sharing how you did it?

Blank looks nice and all that work you did for the twist blank. However if I were you i wouldn't put it on that kind of kit. It's way out of proportion and that CB looks too skinny for it. Other than that good job.

As for how I do the rope twist, I have a Legacy Revo, the small ornamental mill. I love it.

Yes, the center band is small and does look out of proportian, to some, but I have done this rope twist on cigars, Jr. Gents, Sierras and more. This slim with colorwood outsells all the others by a very wide margin. I had a business owner like it so much he ordered 100 of them in the colorwood to give as gifts. I gotta go by what sells. I also did a one piece cigar in candy cane acrylic with the rope twist a couple years ago. It has been sitting on display in the Loveland, Colorado Woodcraft store for the last couple years. There is a picture of it in my IAP photo album.

ctubbs

That is some beautiful work on the pen and great wood. That CB took me a bit to remember what it reminded of. Finally, after a hard forehead slap, I got it, Miss Dolly Parton in her younger days and her ultra slim waist. It is still a cool pen.
Charles

Drstrangefart

That is some beautiful work on the pen and great wood. That CB took me a bit to remember what it reminded of. Finally, after a hard forehead slap, I got it, Miss Dolly Parton in her younger days and her ultra slim waist. It is still a cool pen.
Charles

Now, THAT'S worth the heartiest of chuckles.....

bitshird

Beautiful pen Gary the spalted Maple lent it's self well to the rope twist. I'd like to play with a Revo, actually I just need a 4th axis for my Taig.

robutacion

That is certainly an unusual pen and very well constructed.
I had at first the same impression about the centre-band size but, the more I look at it the more it grows on me, I accept your reasons to use this kit on them, I can't give you any suggestion on what kit that twist size would look better or not as I'm sure, this is a type of barrel design that wouldn't be suitable for the majority of kits out there regardless of price so, you stick to what works and sells, there is good enough reason in my books...!

Cheers
George

Top Bottom