Sparkling nail varnish Sierra

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from patmurris

patmurris

The other day, while doing grocery, i stumbled apon a nail varnish display with a couple 'glittery' ones that caught my eye... oh well... why not?

Here is a gold and gun metal Sierra from Timberbits painted with a 'Sparkling Bronze' nail varnish:

Tournage%20Stylos%20157_800.jpg

Tournage%20Stylos%20158_800.jpg

At first i though i would be done with a few coats and some polishing but it turned out more complicated then i anticipated.

I selected a non descript clear wood from the firewood stack, over turned a Sierra barrel to leave room for the varnish and then started painting a few coats of the sparkling nail varnish. The thing is i'm very bad at that - lack of practice i'd guess... and after three or four coats, the result was quite bumpy. So what? Let's sand it flat... or so i wish... but it did not turn out as easy. Maybe i should have waited longer before sanding, but it turned out quite ugly. It came out sort of gray with 'holes' exposing the underlying wood... yeark!

I ended up using a scrapper to clean up the mess and painted another three or four coats. Waited longer this time and used again the same tool to round the barrel as much as i could without removing all the glitter. It was not smooth yet, so i just decided to drawn it under three dozen thin CA layers and waited a couple days. Then i went on polishing and buffing as usual.

In the end, i still have a couple small pits here and there, most of which i hid under the clip, but overall, it's quite nice and smooth.

I'll certainly try that again... and there is plenty to chose from... Is your wife/life companion/girlfriend using nail varnish? :biggrin:

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cwolfs69

The other day, while doing grocery, i stumble apon a nail varnish display with a couple 'glittery' ones that caught my eye... oh well... why not?

Here is a gold and gun metal Sierra from Timberbits painted with a 'Sparkling Bronze' nail varnish:

Tournage%20Stylos%20157_800.jpg

Tournage%20Stylos%20158_800.jpg

At first i though i would be done with a few coats and some polishing but it turned out more complicated then i anticipated.

I selected a non descript clear wood from the firewood stack, over turned a Sierra barrel to leave room for the varnish and then started painting a few coats of the sparkling nail varnish. The thing is i'm very bad at that - lack of practice i'd guess... and after three or four coats, the result was quite bumpy. So what? Let's sand it flat... or so i wish... but it did not turn out as easy. Maybe i should have waited longer before sanding, but it turned out quite ugly. It came out sort of gray with 'holes' exposing the underlying wood... yeark!

I ended up using a scrapper to clean up the mess and painted another three or four coats. Waited longer this time and used again the same tool to round the barrel as much as i could without removing all the glitter. It was not smooth yet, so i just decided to drawn it under three dozen thin CA layers and waited a couple days. Then i went on polishing and buffing as usual.

In the end, i still have a couple small pits here and there, most of which i hid under the clip, but overall, it's quite nice and smooth.

I'll certainly try that again... and there is plenty to chose from... Is your wife/life companion/girlfriend using nail varnish? :biggrin:

what about just using it to paint a tube, then clear cast with PR

SDB777

Actually I had the same thought, just never acted on it. Good work on it!

Be just like painting the blank, adding feathers, and PR in a resinsaver mold thing....if you pour the PR.

Interesting use for a nail polish. I would have never thought about that....(don't tell the wife, please...I'm already busy enough)

Scott (nicely done) B

DMGill

Next time try brushing a LITTLE nail polish remover (aka acetone) over the polish to smooth it out. That's what manicurist's do to correct mess ups.

Brooks803

Whenever I get asked "so what do you for a living?" I sometimes answer with "I collect make-up supplies". Great ice breaker....then try to sell them a pen :biggrin:

Yours looks great! Very bright and inviting.

wiset1

Pretty slick! I used some nail polish for one of my creations a couple months ago and found that that stuff needs to dry and gas of just like CA. The entire house was full of fumes...good thing the wife and kids were visiting Grandma!

This looks sweet, but I agree...prep a tube then do layer after layer, gas off, seal with thin CA, gas off again then cast in clear PR. May gain better results. Just my two cents

thewishman

Your pen looks very nice.:)

I've used nail polish (nail varnish to Europeans) under white resin or acrylic blanks to great effect. There are so many colors choose from. Never thought to try the glittery stuff.

MartinPens

Works great to paint a tube - allow for drying and cast it. Also try the "Crackle" nail polish - it has some interesting patterns.
The pen looks like a million bucks!

Top Bottom