Spark Plug Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bill78

Bill78

My eldest challenged me to make a pen out of a spark plug. Never one to resist a challenge ......:)

The pen uses the small Cross mechanism and refill. I have taken a photo of the refill and mech alongside the original plug.

You unscrew the terminal piece off the top of the plug and then twist the lower part of the plug to extend the nib. The ceramic part of the original plug is discarded as it can't be machined and is replaced by a piece of white (or ivory) acrylic - which has a transfer applied before lacquering.

Attachments

• DSCF4813.JPG
    DSCF4813.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 281
  • DSCF4788.JPG
    DSCF4788.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 350
  • DSCF4759.JPG
    DSCF4759.JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 331
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Very nice job, Bill.

It sure would be nice to have a tutorial on that in our library (hint, hint). :)

magpens

Interesting idea and nice work !!

Looks like you make use of a mini-refill ... is that right ?

Do you just smash off the ceramic ?

Bill78

Interesting idea and nice work !!

Looks like you make use of a mini-refill ... is that right ?

Do you just smash off the ceramic ?
I tried a few approaches but found the best method was to cut the steel part of the plug, just under the hexagon. I did this with a fibre cutting disc in a dremel with the plug rotating in a lathe. When you have cut through the steel the ceramic comes out whole, leaving two empty steel pieces. Edgar has suggested a tutorial. I'll have a look and see how to do that. Ìn essence once you have the empty steel pieces you make acrylic filling "plugs" that hold short kit tubes for the short pen mechanism. You also need to recreate the plug electrode as that is encased in the ceramic, and the screw for the terminal for the same reason. You could make life simpler and not have a mechanism - just have a nib permanently extended beyond the screw, covered by the screw terminal. But who needs a simple life?

Bill78

Very cool design! I know that I have come across other spark plug designs in the past, did some searching and found this thread that has a few for anyone interested: http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/ode-dr-bradkensteins-spark-plug-108503/
Thanks! I had seen BradG's plug before - but not skiprat's response! Both great artists and I admire them and have learned much from both! I learned about anodising through watching Brad's video and made bolt pens similar to skiprat's designs. In this case the challenge was to make the pen out of the plug - and, in fairness it was less work!

Top Bottom