Spanish Oak Burl & Oceans

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from IPD_Mr

IPD_Mr

We got a really interesting worthless wood blank from Curtis the other day. It is Spanish Oak burl that has been stabilized with Curtis' Cactus juice, then cast in Alumilite. At least this was my understanding and if I am wrong I hope Curtis chimes in. It turned really easy. Used a skew to get it round then finished with the WoodChuck. CA finish. Critiques and opinions are encouraged, your input helps me to improve. Thanks for taking the time to look.

RB-119.jpg

RB-119A.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
Nice Job, Son! I like the soft sheen of the finish. Adds a look of elegance. Just showing off for my daughter, aren't you!!!!!!:wink: :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Seriously, GREAT LOOKING PEN!!!!! I like it!

Last edited:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Is that a Statesman pen? I really like the blank. You and, Curtis work well together. At least this time :wink: Beautiful pen Mike!

robutacion

We got a really interesting worthless wood blank from Curtis the other day. It is Spanish Oak burl that has been stabilized with Curtis' Cactus juice, then cast in Alumilite. At least this was my understanding and if I am wrong I hope Curtis chimes in. It turned really easy. Used a skew to get it round then finished with the WoodChuck. CA finish. Critiques and opinions are encouraged, your input helps me to improve. Thanks for taking the time to look.

Sorry Mike but, you got me confused about your statement above...!:eek:

Did you got it back to front, as I would believe the woodchuck would be the tool to use to get the blank round and then the skew to make the finer cuts, right...???, well, that's what I would do...!:biggrin:

In regards to the blank and pen finished, both were done beautifully and quite effective/interesting to look at, well done...!

Cheers
George

IPD_Mr

No George, I typed this correctly. I turn almost all of my blanks round using a 5/8" Lacer skew. I can be aggressive or light handed with this tool. I then switch to the WoodChuck to finish because it allows me to go straight to MM once turned to size. It just leaves that great of a finish I can skip 220, 320 and 400 grits.

Last edited:

robutacion

No George, I typed this correctly. I turn almost all of my blanks round using a 5/8" Lacer skew. I can be aggressive or light handed with this tool. I then switch to the WoodChuck to finish because it allows me to go strait to MM once turned to size. It just leaves that great of a finish I can skip 220, 320 and 400 grits.

Oh, OK then...! all these different ways to skin a cat, huh...???:biggrin:

Whatever works Mike, is good enough for me...!:wink:

Cheers
George

IPD_Mrs

Nice Job, Son! I like the soft sheen of the finish. Adds a look of elegance. Just showing off for my daughter, aren't you!!!!!!:wink: :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Seriously, GREAT LOOKING PEN!!!!! I like it!

After all this time:confused: Nope :rolleyes:.. it's just a beautiful pen :biggrin:... he didn't even show the really cool part on the other side ... :eek: This is probably one of the neatest Curtis creation that we have had (but there is another one that was in his box that is at least equally as pretty .... just have to wait to see how it works out.)

BSea

That thing looks like a view from space. You can see the ocean, the coastal areas in green, then up to the higher elevations with rivers & lakes. An absolutely beautiful pen.

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam

You BOTH make Mom and I PROUD!!!!! Luv Ya!

After all this time:confused: Nope :rolleyes:.. it's just a beautiful pen :biggrin:... he didn't even show the really cool part on the other side ... :eek: This is probably one of the neatest Curtis creation that we have had (but there is another one that was in his box that is at least equally as pretty .... just have to wait to see how it works out.)

Woodlvr

Beautiful work Mike. That is a beautiful blank also. I hope to be able to get kind kind of finish on wood pens someday.

IPD_Mrs

Dale, Yes it is on a Jr. Statesman set of components. We chose the gold so as not to darken the pen too much with having Black Ti components.

Bob, I said the same thing about the pen - that it looked like the earth and the ocean. It truly is remarkable. I am pretty sure we will be asking for more of this particular blank when Curtis is able to make more available.

Again, very nice job by all involved. Anyone that hasn't been able to turn Curtis' blanks (especially the Cactus Juiced ones) - they are well worth doing !!

Linda

Top Bottom